• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eliminare dancing temp gauge when turn sigs are on???

bavariaboy

The needle on my temperature gauge bounces up and down with the turn signals. It also moves up when I turn on the running and/or headlights. And it may go up when I apply the brakes, not sure about that.

Is there any way to eliminate this annoying and the case of the lights inaccurate temp gauge reading?

thanks, 

Steve

Check all grounds. Maybe add one to the instrument cluster. And that will do it.

Don

Don

1973 Sahara # too long ago, purchased in 1978 sold in 1984

1973 Chamonix # 2589243 Katrina Victim, formerly in the good sawzall hands of Baikal.2002 and gone to heaven.

1973 Inka # 2587591 purchased from Mike McCurdy, Dec 2007

Also check the female spade connector that plugs onto the sensor itself. I chased this problem for months, doing and re-doing ground connections.  I finally took a pair of pliers and slightly closed the end of plug to make it tighter and my temp gauge hasn't bounced since... 4 months now.

(1973 Fjord Blue 037) Vin 2588314- Build date February 6th, 1973- delivered to Hoffman Motors NYC February 8th.

1 hour ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

What Don said.  One common solution is to add an extra ground wire to these little nuts.  It usually solves the jumpy gauge problem.  Thanks for that tip @zinz : )  I just made a little copper strap, instead of a wire.

IMG_5040.JPG

075.JPG

That little strap is so satisfying. 

• Thanks 1

Question for the forum, out of curiosity, has this always been the case with the needles when these cars were sold new?

I haven't noticed, but mine do this as well. Very slight movement. Noticed it after I swapped the alternator for a reman Bosch 35amp, but I don't know if it did it before the swap...

'72 Metallic Malaga 2002 with a '73 M10 | Dual Weber DCOE 40s | E21 5spd and LSD | Pertronix II

2 hours ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

What Don said.  One common solution is to add an extra ground wire to these little nuts.  It usually solves the jumpy gauge problem.  Thanks for that tip @zinz : )  I just made a little copper strap, instead of a wire.

075.JPG

Did the "B" in the "BMW" stamping on that strap get covered up by the nut?  That is an awesome solution.  Love your work!  😀

John

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

I try to check all the grounds (42 as of last count) and found the fuel gauge jumps only when the right turn signal is used.

Solution was to add an extra ground wire to the fuel sender (green wire in photo). Fuel sender and right-side lights (except headlights) share a common ground.  Solved the problem ... never did find the original cause.

188076157_FuelSender.thumb.JPG.2c43e27781ebac4a9aa868d410ceb64e.JPG

• Like 3

Another thing to check when it's the temp gauge...the sender unit ground through its threads where it's screwed into the water manifold on the cylinder head.  Brass sender, aluminum manifold = dissimilar metal corrosion, which means a poor ground.  

Lower the coolant level a bit, unscrew the sender, clean the sender and manifold threads with a stainless steel "toothbrush", reinstall without using any sealer or teflon tape.  

Oh, and make sure the ground wire you make for the back of the instrument cluster is long enough to allow you to remove/replace the cluster...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

One of the best things (and Cheapest) I ever did to my '74 was change the original 45 year old battery/engine ground cable with a new OEM. Came from Blunt, but is available from others. 

Charging and starting dramatically improved. Often overlooked.

After trying the normal solutions for the bouncing temp gauge including the extra ground on the back of the gauge cluster - mine would even bounce in sync to songs w/ a heavy baseline from the subwoofer.  I eventually added a ground strap from the battery to the forward sheet metal on the nose.  Good luck.

DSC_0877.JPG

For what it's worth - when the small ground strap between the fender and the battery has poor connections or is in bad shape, the devices on the body that need ground to the battery take the current, the voltage will find another route through the instruments connected to the engine.  It then uses the main engine ground strap to the battery.  In the case of the turn signals, the temp gauge goes high. (C'mon @calw help a mechanical out).

Fix it and the signals will be brighter too.

Edited by jimk
  • Like 2

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.