• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ignition Wiring Qs

Adam
Go to solution Solved by John76,

Replacing the wiring harness on my 73’ 2002. I have a few questions before I start it for the first time in a year.

1: I have 2 wires to the coil, 1 goes to the side of the distributor, is the other to the key?

2: On the OG harness there is a wire to the back of the distributor, not sure what it went to and can’t find a diagram, what is it?

3: Are the only starter wires 1 to the battery and 1 to the key?

Let me know if pictures would help.

14 minutes ago, Adam said:

Replacing the wiring harness on my 73’ 2002. I have a few questions before I start it for the first time in a year.

1: I have 2 wires to the coil, 1 goes to the side of the distributor, is the other to the key?

The other wire coming off of the condenser goes to the tachometer and it is attached to the back of the cluster.

EDIT-- Sorry, I just reread your question and my have misinterpreted it.  Originally, there were two wires coming off of the condenser, one to the coil and the other to the tach.

Do you have a ceramic ballast resistor inline on your '73?  You don't need that if you are using a blue coil in place of the original.

Someone will come along shortly and give you a better answer.  :) 

Tom

Edited by '76mintgrün'02

The original harness did have a ceramic ballast resistor (I still have it) but the new harness didn’t have extra wire to put it in, I have an orange coil, should I add it in? Also, stupid question but is the condenser same as the distributor?