• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wiper motor picture needed

Russellrh72
Go to solution Solved by Mark92131,

Hello all! I was hoping someone might be in a position to share a picture of the top of the "tuna can" on an early (if there is a difference) wiper motor. I need to see where the ultra thin copper leads are soldered to the top of the motor. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Rob

Yes I have searched endlessly which led me down this tuna can path to begin with and have seen that picture. Unfortunately the poor soul that took that picture is dealing with the same issue I am. The copper leads have separated from the solder points. In my case all three now as handling it even carefully has caused them all to break off. I was hoping someone could take a picture of one that has all those points in tact so I can see which lead goes where. Thanks

Rob

Yeah it appears that the fix was done with multi strand wire and for some reason it appears that the lid to his motor only has two solder points. Mine has three. I also can't tell from the picture where those wires originate from and where they end. Awesome documentation for someone but for my purpose of finding out which copper lead attaches to which solder point I'm still a little unclear.  All the other pictures show them still detached. I will try to decipher something from the wiring diagram. Appreciate your help. If anyone has a spare motor that they can take a picture of with the wires attached I would appreciate it. 

Rob

• Solution

On my early wiper motor, I have 3 wires that come out of the body of the motor and are soldered to the top of the tuna can lid.  One in the darker sheath connects to the yellow wire, the other 2 in the lighter sheaths connects to the Black wire, nothing on the Green wire.  One of the lighter sheath wires is hair thin and the other is a thicker gauge.  Hopefully this will help you with this issue.

Mark92131

IMG_3403.JPG

• Like 1

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

Lol.  That’s what the pics in the thread I linked to above showed too.

Schoir’s pic showed one of the ‘thicker thin’ wires connects to Yellow. Gerock’s pics showed the other ‘thicker thin’ wire plus the ‘really thin’ one go to Black.

One pic is better than two, surely…

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

@visionaut....look I tried to take the high road but what is the deal with seeking out conflict here? The pictures in your link had two contact points, mine has three. perhaps experts know that that difference doesn't change anything but not all of us here are experts and are seeking out the help of people who know more. Should I have guessed on what to do with the third solder point on my motor? Soldering these leads is not something I'm interested in screwing up or doing twice. The picture Mark sent me looks exactly like what I'm looking at on my coffee table right now. It helped. I am appreciative of any and all responses that I get when I reach out on this forum and was appreciative of yours as well. Just didn't give me the confidence to start soldering away when I wasn't sure. Now I am. What is wrong with that? You literally came BACK to this thread just to say something demeaning. Again I appreciate the help you provided and apologize for not having been able to do more with it. But at the end of the day someone came through with what I was looking for so it all worked out. 

Rob

Nothing hurtful intended, srsly… I don’t do that. I was following along to see the answer. I do that in all threads I participate in.

I agreed the single picture is better than a puzzle. And I’m glad you got your problem solved.

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com