• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HOLY MOLEY !! a '72 tii just sold for $93K !!!!!

OriginalOwner

20 minutes ago, NYNick said:

You say amazing. I say ridiculous.

I agree. Mine still has its big bumpers intact and is in a far less desirable color but it’s still quite nice. I’d be surprised if I could get 50K for it right now.

0B9C6AE6-9FF4-4235-87A9-949A9DD21362.jpeg

• Like 1

'74 Sahara/Beige 2002 HS car, long, long ago...

'73 Polaris/Navy 2002 tii lost to Canada

'73 Malaga/Saddle 2002 current project

'73 Taiga/Black 2002 tii in my dreams

30 minutes ago, NYNick said:

it makes sense to me. If someone is after the performance variant (tii) they’d want the best one. The square tails weigh 200lbs more, right? An almost 10% increase in weight with nothing else to show for it makes it less desirable unless the buyer prefers square tail lights over round, which it seems most don’t. 

4 hours ago, NYNick said:

I’m gonna have to agree with @NYNick on this one.  It’s a nice car for sure and there’s a lot to like. Still, there’s a lot to raise an eyebrow at for $93k.  Don’t get me wrong, I’m happy for the seller but that was a lot of money for that car.

Edited by Tdh
  • Like 1

When looked at from the context of what other--and considerably lesser--cars are bringing, it's not quite as startling.   

I see the auctions on Hemmings daily, and have been startled (if not kinda appalled) at what cars there are selling for:  Subaru 360--$16k; a 1970 Ford pickup truck for $35k (admittedly a very low mileage vehicle); very ordinary--although very nice 60s Ford/Chevy/Plymouth etc sedans (and not the high performance versions, but the models you saw on the streets daily) going for upwards of $20k. 

And asking prices:  a Fiat 1200TV (early 60s 1100-based two seater) with a $69k asking price.  Closer to home make-wise, restored Isettas are bringing well over $25k...so a pristine either original or correctly restored roundie tii--at least to most of us--is a lot more desirable than the cars mentioned above, so given the sudden upturn in collector car prices, not surprising. 

Wonder if the looming recession will have an effect on non-essential things like collector car prices...

mike 

• Like 4

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

4 hours ago, Mike Self said:

When looked at from the context of what other--and considerably lesser--cars are bringing, it's not quite as startling.   

I see the auctions on Hemmings daily, and have been startled (if not kinda appalled) at what cars there are selling for:  Subaru 360--$16k; a 1970 Ford pickup truck for $35k (admittedly a very low mileage vehicle); very ordinary--although very nice 60s Ford/Chevy/Plymouth etc sedans (and not the high performance versions, but the models you saw on the streets daily) going for upwards of $20k. 

...so a pristine either original or correctly restored roundie

Respectfully (I like to make sure you guys don't think I'm being an ass😄), the car in question isn't really either of those things. 60k Id just shrug my shoulders, but 93k no way not even in today's market. All that said, we all know BAT bidders with $ can get silly. The combo of Tii/Inka/original looking interior/wheels got the bidders going on this car. 

I say all this while also cheering because it went that high. This helps us all obviously. 

• Like 2

Nice car. The car market has heavily softened, making this sale even more impressive. I thought 90k Tiis had gone away.

(Personally, and I know I am not the target audience, for that price I'd want 100% OEM. Not polished intake runners or speakers in the center console and what have you. These are easily "fixed" should someone feel the need.)

Edited by JsnPpp
  • Like 3

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   + --> Need an Alpina A4 tuning guide? PM me!