• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Scammer alert: "Rock Mathew"

Don Bower

10 hours ago, Don Bower said:

Jim:  The most innocuous, OCD parts on the car.  The exterior, aluminum trim piece running the length of the "longitudinals" (Porsche vernacular) is surrounded by 4 vinyl gaskets -- long ones on top and bottom, and very short, gray ones on the vertical leading and trailing edges.  About 2 inches long.  Usually lost whenever that trim is removed.  I need all 4 of the short ones (2 left and 2 right, but they're all the same).  BMW sells only sets for the whole trim piece at >$100.  I'm not that delusional.  Yet.

Don

Ah- the knee trim filler pieces!  

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

16 hours ago, Don Bower said:

BMW sells only sets for the whole trim piece at >$100.  I'm not that delusional.  Yet.

Give it time, you will get there.

Need to confirm, are you referring  to these pieces?  

I dont see replacement gaskets for those, can you share your info please? Thank you.

Another option is to Mcgyver some cheap, rubber J trim, takes a bit of time and careful trimming.works ok if the end pieces are still there, 

IMG_2906.JPG

IMG_2907.JPG

Black-5M-J-Shape-Black-Waterproof-All-Seasons-Rubber-Car-Sedan-Boat-Door-Window-Edge-Protector.jpg

Edited by tech71

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

25 minutes ago, John_in_VA said:

Don's referring to the small gray vinyl strips at the vertical front & rear edges of the stainless rocker panel trim.

Were there any there? There were front, middle, rear, along the top edge of the rocker panel in the parts manual that I know of.

Part nos 51 72 6 440 147 (FRONT), 148 (MIDDLE), 149 (REAR) or buy by the meter 51 11 1 807 884

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

2 minutes ago, John76 said:

These ?

Started off as gray, but they turned a bit yellowish after 46 years. (My hair did the opposite)  

532944955_Reartrimend.thumb.JPG.911640b7df114bbeaa8027b3b18ea1c3.JPG

Could be worse...

Your hair could be NLA.

:D

• Haha 1

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

18 hours ago, John76 said:

These ?

Started off as gray, but they turned a bit yellowish after 46 years. (My hair did the opposite)  

532944955_Reartrimend.thumb.JPG.911640b7df114bbeaa8027b3b18ea1c3.JPG

Bingo!  The unicorns have been identified.  Now all you concours judges have another source of point deductions.

• Like 1

Someone oughta reproduce those. 

Isn't there similar that is supposed to be behind the early grilles?

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

A gray vacuum hose cut to length & split open could do the job.  The vinyl/rubber pieces that go between the bumpers & overriders may also work.

OVERRIDER SEAL IN SILVER:

https://www.jaymic.com/1502-to-2002-turbo/exterior-trim-seals/bumper-parts/overrider-seal-in-silver-71-each.html

Edited by John_in_VA
added parts source

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

An AP story vis AOL claims that Zelle and other pay pal like scammers is owned by banks, offers no buyer protection and has a dismal record of clawing cash back for the victims.

I will stick with paypal no friends and family ever.

I learned the hard way. Trust me.