• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Look at this Squaretail now on sale

fastricky

2 hours ago, John76 said:

… I believe the low fuel light is the same as the brake light...

I believe the same, John. I also believe an additional wire from the sender is needed, and not found on U.S. cars.

I’d guess the reason had to do with U.S. DOT regulations. Perhaps they didn’t want the U.S.-mandated brake warning lights sharing a display with the disparate low-fuel warning light.

Best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

7 minutes ago, Conserv said:

Perhaps they didn’t want the U.S.-mandated brake warning lights sharing a display with the disparate low-fuel warning light.

Makes sense...better to stop with functioning brakes rather than running out of gas.

Have you seen a fuel sender with a third wire (fuel level switch)?  I've seen these offered on other fuel level senders, but not BMW.

I'll check that mysterious tab on the back of the dash cluster. It may be a ground when the gauge needle gets into the red zone.

If so, it would be easy to connect to the brake light (or additional indicator light).

John

2 hours ago, John76 said:

Makes sense...better to stop with functioning brakes rather than running out of gas.

Have you seen a fuel sender with a third wire (fuel level switch)?  I've seen these offered on other fuel level senders, but not BMW.

I'll check that mysterious tab on the back of the dash cluster. It may be a ground when the gauge needle gets into the red zone.

If so, it would be easy to connect to the brake light (or additional indicator light).

John

The low fuel wire (brown-yellow) goes from the fuel sender in the trunk to position #10 on the 12 pole connector at the instrument cluster.

DSCN2105sm.thumb.JPG.69e86c0384eb541fbbe1ea0b3006c693.JPG

• Like 2

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

14 minutes ago, 02Les said:

(brown-yellow) goes from the fuel sender in the trunk to position #10

Thanks Les.

The Brown/yellow is the level sensor wire which sends the 4 - 80 Ohm resistance to the fuel gauge.

Where does the Brown/black wire go?

Maybe we should start a new thread on this topic. 

John

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, John76 said:

Where does the Brown/black wire go?

Found it!

The 3-wire fuel sender is needed for the low-fuel warning light to function.

- Brown/yellow wire to pin #10 on instrument pod.

-Brown/black wire to pin #5. This also connects the hand brake switch and manual choke knob if installed

- Brown wire to ground.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, John76 said:

Found it!

The 3-wire fuel sender is needed for the low-fuel warning light to function.

- Brown/yellow wire to pin #10 on instrument pod.

-Brown/black wire to pin #5. This also connects the hand brake switch and manual choke knob if installed

- Brown wire to ground.

I meant to say that.......honest. Well done John.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Looks like they sold this Tii-- at least it's on the same car transporter as mine (I bought the Golf E12).

I was comfortable buying the E12 from Oldenzaal because it is very original with low mileage, and they had done very little work in preparation for sale. Specifically, they had done no body work or rust repair. I worked with Jan and found him to be very straightforward and forthcoming with many, many pictures, video etc.

Major caveat-- I have not received the car yet! So we'll see.

WhatsApp Image 2022-10-11 at 10.40.33 AM.jpeg

• Like 4