• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What $12,500 (asking) will buy you for a project roundie

Mike Self

For sale by a dealer in Cleveland, and from the looks of tinworm ravages, has spent its entire life there.  Especially note the location of the tow ring on the spare tire well's underside...

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/bmw/2002/2621695.html 

The VIN is less than 400 away from my sunroof Sahara '73; wouldn't "trade up" for a newer VIN though...

mike 

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

9 minutes ago, Mike Self said:

...  Especially note the location of the tow ring on the spare tire well's underside...

That's quite funny. I wonder what happened there 🤔

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

They are delusional, that cars rotten eveywhere.

no key tumbler in ignition and what’s with that front driver side wheel? 
Is it all skewed offl like that because the lift pad is  on the control arm?

Appears to be no other place solid enough To lift from. 
Wouldnt give $800 for it. Well, maybe $800 only because I could use the roof on Franzi.

Everytime I see something like this I mentally revise my pairs estimated value. Upwards.

Edited by tech71

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

8 hours ago, Mike Self said:

For sale by a dealer in Cleveland, and from the looks of tinworm ravages, has spent its entire life there.  Especially note the location of the tow ring on the spare tire well's underside...

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/bmw/2002/2621695.html 

The VIN is less than 400 away from my sunroof Sahara '73; wouldn't "trade up" for a newer VIN though...

mike 

Looks like the entire front fascia was grafted on from a 74 or later…amazing the tenacity of that pedal box just hanging on for dear life.  

I'm headed through Cleveland tomorrow, and

I'll have a couple hundred cash on me- anyone in for a part- out?

t

bought that car in 2006 for $300, because it had a real roundie nose

and grilles, and he'd punched in the nose on his race car.

• Like 2

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Whenever you see a car hawked by a vintage car dealer (e.g. inside a structure with rows of Porsches and Alfas), nine times out of ten you know it's not only no bargain, it's stupid money. Every once in a while you'll see a shop trying to move a car quickly for a customer who's bailing out of it, but it's rare, and when you do, it likely means that the shop didn't want to buy it either, and that tells you something.

• Like 4

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)