• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Lift Installed..Thrilled.. Then Frustration.. Then Fixed

73tiiDavidPA

1 hour ago, jimk said:

The cable goes thru a hole in the column.  Looks like is rubs on the hole edge.

My eyes aren't as good as they once were but I'm not seeing this.

(1973 Fjord Blue 037) Vin 2588314- Build date February 6th, 1973- delivered to Hoffman Motors NYC February 8th.

1 hour ago, autokunst said:

Jim, I think you are seeing the end of the spring. The cable only goes to the pulley and appears free and clear. Whereas, the spring that provides tension on the release lever bears against the column.

Correct, perhaps this makes it more clear

514615711_CableDiagrahm.PNG.9eec6a627c2d975884edb20390c2b4c8.PNG

• Like 1

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

73 tii (Verona, survivor, owned since '92)

66 DS21 (most technologically advanced car of the 20th Century)

1 hour ago, TobyB said:

Half an inch makes me wonder if the cable's

off a guide or pulley somewhere

in its travels...

t

I may have tightened it an inch, but not more then that.  With the release mechanism fully pulled down on the right side of the lift  - the right side locking latch cleared easily, but the left side latch was just a bit off from fully unlocking.  The extra inch now makes the far side latch fully unlock.  

Either way, I'm going to have the lift guys comes out and check it.  Something like this is not something I want to just leave to my own confidences.  I'll let the professionals double check my work.  It's also certainly why I paid them (and at this "price-point" I don't think it unreasonable for them to tweak / make minor corrections to make things right).  

• Like 3

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

73 tii (Verona, survivor, owned since '92)

66 DS21 (most technologically advanced car of the 20th Century)

3 minutes ago, Dudeland said:

In this picture, isn't it supposed to ride on top of the pulley?  I am having a hard time picturing the path the cable takes. 

Negative.  That cable goes straight vertical once inside the column.  It is in the correct location on the pulley.

• Like 2

Stephen Bruns

1968 1600-2  "Stuart"

1973 3.0CS  "Raven"  https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/the-raven-e9-project.26879/

1967 VW Beetle  "Templeton"