• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BMW 2002-Cabriolet Alpina 1976 for Sale (Germany)

marklimon

It actually looks pretty nice, from what I can see. The “squished” airbox is not its best feature.

So… what is it? The last ti was manufactured in April 1971 (VIN 1696448) so it’s definitely not a ti.

But it looks like an authentic Baur cabriolet and the square taillight features — nosepiece, taillights, “1974-style” seat covers, etc. — suggest its VIN should be somewhere between 3595001 and 3595094.

OOPS: Those are only RHD VIN’s! 🙄😯 Les has the correct VIN’s below!

I’d guess that it was not modified by Alpina because (1.) it’s not expensive enough for a bona fide Alpina-modified example and (2.) there’s no mention of “documentation”. Alpina, of course, would also likely not add “ti” badges to a “non-ti” ‘02!

Someone should check it out!

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

It is common practice if you have a modded engine to have the TÜV approval according to the Alpina A1, A1, A2, A2s, A3, A3s... data.

So in my paperwork to my car it's "mit Leistungssteigerung d. Motor Typ Alpina A3S..." although my engine has never been touched by alpina. But that's not illegal or fraudulent it's just the easiest way to get your car TÜV Approved in Germany if the engine is built to Alpina specs.

• Thanks 2

VIN would be between 3590001 & 3590763. As the last one(s) were made Dec '75, this one could easily have a 1st registered in 1976.

Unfortuntely I cannot make out the VIN in the pic.

Edited by 02Les

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

49 minutes ago, 02Les said:

VIN would be between 3590001 & 3590763. As the last one(s) were made Dec '75, this one could easily have a 1st registered in 1976.

You’re right, of course, Les. I was looking at right-hand-drive Baur’s only! 🙄🤫

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I didn't know Alpina used Spanish Webers, from the pictures the stance looks stock and no mention of any Alpina suspension or brake bits this is the hard stuff, read expensive to source these days.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Courtesy of Google Translate, fwiw:

When it came to automobiles, the 1970s stood for bold colours, unusual shapes and motorsport for everyone. This BMW 2002 Targa combines this trinity: in the original BMW color mint green, as a "convertible with roll bar" (Targa it was never officially called) and with an Alpina A2 engine. The cabriolet with a roll bar is actually four cars in one: a coupé when closed, a landaulet with the rear section open, and a targa with the hard top removed. Without a hard roof and with the rear section folded down, it is a convertible with a roll bar. Depending on your mood and the weather, you open it here or there, or everything is gone, or nothing at all and drive it as a coupé. This construction was also found in the Porsche 911 Soft Window Targa or the Triumph Stag. The torsional rigidity is significantly better than that of a full convertible thanks to the bracket. Incidentally, that was one of the reasons why it was built that way and not as a full convertible. Alpina began developing tuning kits for BMW automobiles in Buchloe in the Allgäu in the mid-1960s. Large carburettors, higher compression, sharp camshafts. Classic tuning, which at that time still meant styling. Everything that made it faster was adapted to the BMW four-cylinder and offered as a tuning kit in the performance levels A1 or A2 and for racing use as the A3. The components were then installed either by a BMW dealer, by Alpina, in an independent workshop or even at home in the garage at home.

The specification fitted to this 2002 is the A2 upgrade: Two twin 45DCOE Weber carburettors, live camshaft, machined cylinder head and a header. The BMW 2002, which was not exactly underpowered with 100 hp, had 150 hp after this power boost - that was exactly as much as a 1975 Porsche 911 brought with it ex works. In this vehicle, the A2 engine was combined with a GMT-Bauer 5-speed gearbox - the connoisseur clicks his tongue at that, because this engine/transmission combination makes driving performance possible that you would not think the car capable of - from the possible Not to mention drift angles. This 1976 in Mülheim a. i.e. The BMW 2002 Cabriolet delivered in Ruhr has a complete owner history, which is documented by original documents. He has been owned by a family for 23 years. For the last 20 years it has been driven by the daughter of the house. Their caring care is evident. An existing Classic Data report certifies a market value of € 45,000. € 39,900 (sale on behalf of a customer) or in classic car leasing e.g. B. € 356.00 monthly rate with a down payment of € 7,900.00 and a term of 48 months.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Interesting in that it's a '76 with a side exit tail pipe, with the obvious cutout in the rear panel for it.  IIRC they changed to a center exit tail pipe in 1975.  Too bad they didn't provide the VIN.

In the nit picking department, there's quite a bit of overspray in the engine compartment, and the front bumper isn't level with the body.  But overall, it's nice.  Not sure 39k Euro nice, but nice.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

12 hours ago, 02Les said:

Funny as I tried to zoom the picture I thought last three digits could be 764 :) But to be honest it's too blurry to say anything.

3 hours ago, Mike Self said:

Interesting in that it's a '76 with a side exit tail pipe, with the obvious cutout in the rear panel for it.  IIRC they changed to a center exit tail pipe in 1975.  Too bad they didn't provide the VIN.

I think someone explained the tail pipe change here some time ago. Reasoning to the change was the raised exhaust temps because of the smog stuff. The (almost) center exhaust is more rare in Europe. 1502 has the side exit though it was started 1975. Turbo did experience the change, but how about basic 2002 or tii?

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

That's a Targa not a full Cabriolet.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40