• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002 Daily Driver?

Daily02

27 minutes ago, tech71 said:

Drive your car everyday in hellish traffic, don't drive your car everyday in whatever traffic.

Your car your choice.

The end.

@John76, that strip light is cool but now up to $28 on Eslay

Nah, 2 pack is $15. This is what I used.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GRO844G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

4 hours ago, tech71 said:

Drive your car everyday in hellish traffic, don't drive your car everyday in whatever traffic.

Your car your choice.

The end.

@John76, that strip light is cool but now up to $28 on Eslay

And I'm not sure what that squarish-looking thing is with the wires running to it in John's pic.

:D

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

I like the "visual horn" safety feature mentioned in this brochure.

It's the headlight flash function of the turn signal lever.

1 hour ago, ray_ said:

I'm not sure what that squarish-looking thing is with the wires running to it

You mean the square taillight?  Hahaha...Ray, you'll come "around" to liking them. 😁

• Haha 1

I'm in Southern California, and I daily my car about 10 miles a day. Couple times a month from Lakewood to Santa Monica, sitting in commuter 405 traffic (ugh); about 60 miles round trip.

The biggest pain so far has been the lack of power steering and no AC during summer lol. 

'72 Metallic Malaga 2002 with a '73 M10 | Dual Weber DCOE 40s | E21 5spd and LSD | Pertronix II

77Metallic, I found by switching from 15 " to the original 13 " wheels did make a significant difference in the steering.

Lilli, my 76 2002 came with the Behr ac unit. Properly set up with the newer compressor I have to turn the fan speed down and the temp up a bit even on hot days. 

• Like 1

My 2002 was my daily for a long time in the late 70’s to the mid 80’s.

Family reasons meant eventually needing bigger cars, e28’s, Ford Expeditions, an X3 and lately newer Audi’s.

After selling my A5, my daily has been our tii. And I’m building out an e28 535is that will become my daily, but that project is on hold due to shoulder surgery.

It is surprising how small a 2002 is, and frankly how small an e28 is. And a 2002 is basically a sheet metal box. Little in the way of protection if an idiot hits me.

i don’t think I could go back to the tii as a daily. I love driving the car, but I feel like I’m a moving target. 

72 2002tii

1988 535is 

3 hours ago, bavariaboy said:

77Metallic, I found by switching from 15 " to the original 13 " wheels did make a significant difference in the steering.

Lilli, my 76 2002 came with the Behr ac unit. Properly set up with the newer compressor I have to turn the fan speed down and the temp up a bit even on hot days. 

Air in the tires helps also :)

Define "hot."

:D

• Haha 1

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

9 hours ago, bavariaboy said:

"Hot" as defined 85-90 degrees. Freezes my knuckles. Honest!

I live in Bucks County, PA adjacent and north of Philadelphia. We have hot steamy summers that are getting longer and hotter. 

Steve

Steve,

In defense of @ray_ — not that Ray deserves defending, 🙄 don’t even get me started 😡 — 85-90 might be described as a delightfully “fall” day in Savannah… 

And by freezing your “knuckles”, might that not be more narrowly defined: “freezes the knuckles of my right hand when the hand is on the shifter…”) 😉

😁😋

Best regards,

Steve C.

• Haha 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

2 minutes ago, ray_ said:

I hadn't the volition to belabor the point :D

Thanks, Steve! :D

Hey, some days you gots the volition, some days you don’t gots the volition… 😋

• Haha 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

1 hour ago, ray_ said:

I hadn't the volition to belabor the point :D

Thanks, Steve! :D

Volition schmolition, you were just too gassed out to type from 95 degree/90% humidity! I feel your pain Ray, I’m in Augusta. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Steve and Ray,

I want to correct myself. I went back and read my post about 85-90 degree days and my freezing knuckles.

I use the freezing knuckles image to describe the temperature of the  cold air coming from the ducts. They are adjustable up and down and sideways. Once I find the right position my entire body is cool. The front seat area is relatively small, so the cold air disperses fairly evenly.  I am always cool, turning the fan speed down a bit and the temperature knob up a bit. I can't attest to the back seat temperatures. I don't think anyone has ever sat in Lilli's back seat.

Comparing Bucks County temperatures to Savannah's is absurd. I have been in New Orleans and South FL in July and there is no comparison.

But I did research last summer's temperatures in Philadelphia, no surprise,  last summer was hotter than the summer before that was hotter than.... You know the drill.

How hot? Last summer there were 45 days above 90 degrees. 19 of them were in July, more than half the month.  The highest temperature was 99 degrees on July 24.  And during an 8 day heat wave 5 of the 8 days were above 95. 

Far above my low ball figure of 85-90.

I drove Lilli two, three even four times a week last summer. Without the ac it would have been two or three or four times a month. Perhaps not at all in July. 

And don't get me started on the humidity.

Steve

• Like 1