• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hurricane Ian claims a 2002 Turbo

dang

The word "steward" is often used when speaking of the owners of a classic or vintage car.  I can understand a handful of cars that for some reason couldn't be moved.  But at this pace - in the hundreds - this is not a good representation of stewardship.  If you have the means to have these rare pieces of history, put them on a flipping trailer and drag them to high ground in the weeks before the hurricane hit.  Such a disappointment.

Stephen Bruns

1968 1600-2  "Stuart"

1973 3.0CS  "Raven"  https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/the-raven-e9-project.26879/

1967 VW Beetle  "Templeton"

21 minutes ago, autokunst said:

The word "steward" is often used when speaking of the owners of a classic or vintage car.  I can understand a handful of cars that for some reason couldn't be moved.  But at this pace - in the hundreds - this is not a good representation of stewardship.  If you have the means to have these rare pieces of history, put them on a flipping trailer and drag them to high ground in the weeks before the hurricane hit.  Such a disappointment.

I don't disagree.

One thought that came to mind was that some may have been valued very very high and were worth more as an insurance claim than through the market, which has softened, IMO.

Edited by JsnPpp

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   + --> Need an Alpina A4 tuning guide? PM me!

Didn't the storm head in a somewhat unanticipated direction down there? Areas flooded that did not have a history of such issues?

• Thanks 1

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

15 hours ago, ray_ said:

Didn't the storm head in a somewhat unanticipated direction down there? Areas flooded that did not have a history of such issues?

Ian came ashore in the same location as Charlie several years ago. The problem with Ian is that the anticipated storm track was supposed to hit the Tampa/St. Petersburg area and the forecasting did not change the track until the last 24-48 hours which did not leave much time to evacuate. The storm was also supposed to decrease in strength, which it did not do, it got stronger.

Compounding the problem was that a lot of people where I live, Tampa/St. Petersburg, evacuated down south to the Fort Myers/Naples area to avoid the storm. Its difficult to evacuate in Florida given its profile. Evacuating in state is no guarantee your going to be out of the path of the storm. The only real way out is to go North to Georgia, a long distance for those down south. I also don't think anyone anticipated the historic storm surge of 12-18 feet, that has never been seen before. A lot of freshwater flooding also occurred inland in the streams and rivers where it has never flooded before. These are some reasons people elect to stay and ride it out.

Another fact to consider is that a large number of the homes in the Ft. Myers/Naples area are second homes for people and are not permanent residences. They are occupied only 20-30% of the year. So they weren't able to evacuate their cars and other personal property as you would normally expect.

Having said that, If I owned those vehicles I would have a contingency plan to get them out or store them in a safe and secure place as I do here in Tampa.

• Like 1