• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Black spark plug wire for locking strip?

Daily02

In Scott Chamberlin's "101 Essential BMW Technical Tips" tip 83 is: 

"Black spark plug wire can replace discolored "chrome" window trim."

Has anyone tried this? Does standard 7mm plug wire do the job? 

The chrome locking strip is on backorder, and this could be a stop gap. Thanks!

Regards

DonO

15 hours ago, Son of Marty said:

It will fit but it lacks the correct profile to lock the window with the strength it needs. 

+1  That locking strip has a purpose besides looking pretty; it spreads the rubber gasket so as to hold the windshield in place and still allow enough flexibility in the rubber gasket to actually install the glass without breaking it.   

That's why it's called a "locking strip."  Round cross section spark plug wire would tend to pop out, while the D-shaped cross section locking strip has parallel sides to grip the rubber gasket.  Use the correct stuff so your windshield doesn't part company from the car--or at least leak...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Maximillian has a pre-order going on for the black locking strip. Sounds like they get delivered a couple weeks later.

file.png
WWW.MAX2002STORE.COM

Replace your worn, brittle windshield and rear window lock strips with these SCHWARZ (black) Genuine BMW ones. We all know that the chrome lock strips are currently out of stock and who know when will they be available again so now its a good time to get these ones in case you...

The chrome strip's not Ooober- kritikal- 

I've used RG6 from the cable company in the raceycar since 2004, and the

glass neither leaks nor pops out on a regular basis.

t

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

40 minutes ago, marklimon said:

Thanks for the part sources; @bergie33, what were the applicable shipping charges from the German source? 

Mark

Toronto, Canada

Upon further review...I actually bought the chrome lock strip from Jaymic for about the same price as the German source, but their shipping was about $19 where the German shipping was $38 for some different parts that were probably about the same size/weight.

Karl B.

1974 2002tii Malaga ("Conrad") -->> Conrad's Restoration Blog

2003 330i ZHP 6-spd

2011 328i xDrive

Stephan Ries had the repop of the original aluminum "look" window lock trim piece - cut to size. Each one comes with the aluminum center piece cover. I just received it for front and rear and it looks really accurate to my eye... 

IMG_20220311_123300.jpg
SHOPWARE.BMW-OLDTIMERTEILE.DE

Füllkeder Chrom für Front- oder Heckscheibe BMW Baureihe E10 1502- 2002 Ti Tii +...

Edited by Tbone1209
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tbone1209 said:

Stephan Ries had the repop of the original aluminum "look" window lock trim piece - cut to size. Each one comes with the aluminum center piece cover. I just received it for front and rear and it looks really accurate to my eye... 

IMG_20220311_123300.jpg
SHOPWARE.BMW-OLDTIMERTEILE.DE

Füllkeder Chrom für Front- oder Heckscheibe BMW Baureihe E10 1502- 2002 Ti Tii +...

Aber.......

Dieser Artikel steht derzeit nicht zur Verfügung!

This item is currently not available!
  • Haha 2

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

16 hours ago, John76 said:

So, it pops out occasionally?

Well, racekar...

When it DOES pop out, man, does it ever hit the town.  Booze, loud music,

other windshields, heck, even maybe some sexy bits of door glass...

heh.

t

• Haha 2

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL