• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Center link? What part do I need to replace?

Pablo M
Go to solution Solved by tech71,

New to me 1972 2002tii. Tennessee car originally. Third owner. 

quite a lot of play in the steering wheel. Checked up front and found massive play in what I think is the center link. See photo. 
the castle but on top does not move but the ball joint (?) moves about 1/8” up and down. 

See the gap? That’s near bottom. I can push it to meet the other surface. 
image.thumb.jpeg.c723c08e266aacafea022e2776263c59.jpeg

i can’t figure out how to load a video but I have video of the play and the whee play. 

image.thumb.jpeg.d7e89ef725facb0f7a3950d2d955fa15.jpeg
this is the part with play, not the tie rod ball joint. 

2003 e39 M5 (daily)

1986 e30 325es (sons car)

1972 2002tii (fun daily alternative)

With all due respect, if that is that far gone,  just go ahead and do the front end.   You will be needing to do all the front in in short order if they aren't already bad.  Tie rod ends, lower ball joints and bushings are really inexpensive on these cars.   Ireland is about 400, for drag link, ball joints, and tie rod assemblies and bushings. 

You will have it up on jack stands anyway, why not just take a bit more time and you know everything is ok and safe for the next forever.   It may not be in your budget, but if that isn't an issue, then doing it in one shot saves you a huge amount of time in the long run. In addition, you are just one time to the alignment shop.  

Just a thought... 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

Keep in mind that when you replace the center track rod and the two tie rods, you'll need to take your car to have the front end aligned, because no matter how careful you are counting threads to get the new parts to match the old, you won't.  And then you'll start eating front tires...

Oh, and while you're at it, once the new parts are in place, again check the steering box for play.  Adjustment is easy--check the archives for how-to...

mike

PS--you can do all that suspension work yourself.  I made tools to extract/install suspension bushings from all thread, thick washers and heavy plastic plumbing pipe!  Worked like a charm!

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

18 minutes ago, Mike Self said:

PS--you can do all that suspension work yourself. 

Including the alignment, which is nothin' but toe-in.  Being able to set it yourself saves a lot of ha$$le.  Plus, it's fun.

030.jpg

I wish I could find/buy a four-pack of   nice   rubber boots for my tie rod ends.  

Tom

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mike Self said:

Keep in mind that when you replace the center track rod and the two tie rods, you'll need to take your car to have the front end aligned,

PS--you can do all that suspension work yourself.  I made tools to extract/install suspension bushings from all thread, thick washers and heavy plastic plumbing pipe!  Worked like a charm!

Thanks Mike. Yes, for sure alignment in order when replacing those parts. I expect to do the work myself, except the alignment. Even when I used to race I never liked doing my own alignments lol. 

Good to know about the bushing tool. Do you happen to have photos of that in action?

2003 e39 M5 (daily)

I wrote about this repair a few weeks ago in BimmerLife. Whether you should slide all the way down the slippery slope and do the whole front end, as others have recommended, depends on a) what you find, b) how bad things really are, c) your budget, and d) how badly you just want to get in and out and fix the thing that's the worst. If the center track rod is obviously bad (as mine was), and other things are old and worn but not in the same "obviously bad" league, there's no sin in simply replacing the rod and driving the car. In theory, they're all the same length so you shouldn't need to re-align the front end afterward. Of course, theory and practice are two different things :^)

IMG_3199_enhanced-scaled.jpg
BIMMERLIFE.COM

With the “mitzvah” 2002tii finally sold on Bring a Trailer, I didn’t think that the car would be here at the house much longer. This thought turned out to be optimistic, since as of this writing, the buyer, whose email address is at Beverly Hills Porsche, still hasn’t paid Chris (the owner). She’s...

• Like 2

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

8 hours ago, thehackmechanic said:

I wrote about this repair a few weeks ago in BimmerLife. Whether you should slide all the way down the slippery slope and do the whole front end, as others have recommended, depends on a) what you find, b) how bad things really are, c) your budget, and d) how badly you just want to get in and out and fix the thing that's the worst.

Thanks! I’m like you. At the moment the car needs lots of attention. First priority is getting it properly roadworthy and other than the center link everything else in steering area looked solid. Rubber boots will give out eventually given their age but that’s not a primary objective. A reliable canyon driver is first priority. 
so fixing certain things come first: sloppy steering, sloppy shifting, loopy idle, brakes. And replacing rubber fuel and brake lines. 
then second priority: suspension upgrades and the rest of steering stuff (tie rods, bushings), interior bits like tach and fuel gauge that don’t work. 
then on and on. 

• Like 2

2003 e39 M5 (daily)

13 hours ago, Pablo M said:

First priority is getting it properly roadworthy and other than the center link everything else in steering area looked solid.

Your logic is solid IMHO. My experience has been that the center track rod wears out at a faster rate then other steering components.

More stress on it perhaps or maybe the non OE ones I buy are just crap😁

I suspect the first one.

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

On 10/24/2022 at 2:31 PM, Pablo M said:

Good to know about the bushing tool. Do you happen to have photos of that in action?

Sorry, that was in 2007, and I didn't take pictures while I was doing the suspension--I should have.  However, I did write a couple of columns about the procedures including what size pipe I used for pullers and installers.  PM me if you'd like a copy.

mike

• Thanks 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

• 1 year later...

Hey everyone. - I've been reading up on all things center tie rods on the site because I found the bushing  on the left side falling apart. See pic. It's a red, sponge-like material. 

I need help a) finding the part number, b) whether there's a better alternative material, c) instructions on how I can try to replace it myself. (Also, how bad is it if the rest falls away while I'm on the road!)

Thanks!

image.thumb.jpeg.b0ad78acc151a82d0a92175880e92a65.jpeg

• Like 1