• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Center link? What part do I need to replace?

Pablo M
Go to solution Solved by tech71,

2 hours ago, Mars55 said:

I need help a) finding the part number, b) whether there's a better alternative material, c) instructions on how I can try to replace it myself. (Also, how bad is it if the rest falls away while I'm on the road!)

After the donut came apart on mine, I tied a strip of cotton flannel shirt cloth around it.  Every once in a while I squirt a little oil on it.  Isn't that foam washer just a dust cover?

Welp, aside from the flannel oil-soaked home remedy, do I need to replace this washer/dust cover, and if so, is it just a matter of removing the center rod?

Also, what's the torque spec on it?

Thanks again everyone!

34 minutes ago, Mars55 said:

Also, what's the torque spec on it?

Same as tie rod ends, 25 (+4) ft/lbs should do it.  Those plastic caps / sponges are suppose to keep water out, so your tie rod ends don't rust in place.  The sponge ones seem to compress better when soaked in oil before and don't tear on installation.  The plastic caps always seem to crack.

Mark92131

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

Thanks Mark. So, to get this straight: Soak the washer in oil; any kind? How long should it sit in oil? Remove both sides of the center link to install?

Thanks again.

3 hours ago, Mars55 said:

Thanks Mark. So, to get this straight: Soak the washer in oil; any kind? How long should it sit in oil? Remove both sides of the center link to install?

Basically, any kind of oil will do.  Just try squeezing the sponge washer to pick up as much oil as possible.  Remove the center link, coat the tie rod holes and pitman arm connections with light grease, replace sponge washers, install, torque all nuts to 25 ft/lbs and replace the cotter pins.  Job done.

Mark92131

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

I wouldn't replace them for that, just wait for them to wear out then change them your going to do 90% of the work to replace them anyway just to add the covers, then soak the covers on the new ones.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944