• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

5 speed transmissions

joebarthlow

5 hours ago, Lorin said:

A 4 speed with a 3.45 rear end is not a bad “budget” setup. It also (in my opinion) makes first gear much more enjoyable. 

Had I gone that route, I would have thousands of $$ more to spend elsewhere.  No driveshaft change, no risk in buying a trashed OD trans, no struggling with alignment, no banging on the tunnel, no adding about 30 lbs to the car weight, no speedometer cable change, only a speedometer change.

• Like 2

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

I know it's a moot point, but simply knowing I can shift into 5th gear whenever I want is worth money to me. I don't like being limited or told I can't do something (this is a personal issue I am working on but will likely never get over), so if all is required to get my way is a few bucks (cost + labor of a transmission swap), I'm gonna spend the money to get what I want. 

More forward gears are cool; in this case, just one more. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

...but you can get 3.45 gears out of a manual E36 318i all day long...

and spend the other money on something else that you can control- like a pair of 40's!

I too really like a 5- speed, but there's 'reasonable' and there's 'silly' and I like to be somewhere in the middle.

t

• Like 2

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I bought a known good, used G245 from a local BMW shop for $750 providing I had them swap out the original 4 speed. I had to also provide the new driveshaft and a reputable 5 speed conversion kit. That was probably 4 or 5 years ago.  I use the interstate highway pretty regularly so it's comes in real handy. I like to cruise at about 3000 rpm for quiet and economical  trip. Also fun to occasionally switch it up and downshift to 4th on the interstate for brief moments before pushing it up and way over for 5th again.

A couple years ago I picked up another 5 speed to have as a spare, think that one cost me about $900. 

But I agree with the sentiment of first making sure your 4 speed linkage is correct and everything is set up to spec. before jumping ship.

Edited by 7502
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 7502 said:

I bought a known good, used G245 from a local BMW shop for $750 providing I had them swap out the original 4 speed. I had to also provide the new driveshaft and a reputable 5 speed conversion kit. That was probably 4 or 5 years ago.  I use the interstate highway pretty regularly so it's comes in real handy. I like to cruise at about 3000 rpm for quiet and economical  trip. Also fun to occasionally switch it up and downshift to 4th on the interstate for brief moments before pushing it up and way over for 5th again.

A couple years ago I picked up another 5 speed to have as a spare, think that one cost me about $900. 

But I agree with the sentiment of first making sure your 4 speed linkage is correct and everything is set up to spec. before jumping ship.

Howdy! What is/was the name of that shop?  I'm in Anacortes and although I do 90% of my own work, its always nice to have options.  Also, if you happen to have a 3rd spare you aren't as attached to, let me know.  ;) 

6 minutes ago, wheelieking said:

What is/was the name of that shop

NW European Autoworks in Bellingham.  They of course focus on newer cars but the owner has a couple of older BMW's.  Unfortunately, I doubt they have any more 5 speeds but I guess you never know.  Mine was way in the back attic collecting dust. 

Edited by 7502
extra info
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, danco_ said:

I don't like being limited or told I can't do something (this is a personal issue I am working on but will likely never get over), so if all is required to get my way is a few bucks (cost + labor of a transmission swap), I'm gonna spend the money to get what I want. 

Ha! My brother from another mother…

• Like 1

I wasn't aware the e21 G245 was that hard to find. Prices are starting to look like 235/5 prices. How can that be?

Jason

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   + --> Need an Alpina A4 tuning guide? PM me!

On 11/10/2022 at 10:48 AM, '76mintgrün'02 said:

I added 20 ounces of lead to mine, the last time I had it apart

IMG_1857.JPG

Tom

I installed a Getrag 245 5-Speed and 3.91 LSD from an E21 several years ago. I love the combo. But I'm curious about the lead you added to the shift linkage. Please tell me more.  

Edited by Senna27

1975 - 2002 - Sabine - Jade

2010 Toyota Matrix XR

Remember: RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

I was being playful, while taking play out of the linkage.  I'd installed new bushings ten years prior, but it'd gotten sloppy again.  This time I was more thorough and shared some details, but I can't find that thread right now.  Here's another one with some discussion.  

It is fun to play with the length and weight above and below the pivot ball to make it feel balanced.  It's a matter of personal preference (and fizzix).  

I like having the added mo-mentum below the pivot.  I like the heavier knob too, as well as the added height.  Adding a little length below the ball shortened the travel up top, making up for the longer lever.  The difference(s) may be subtle, but the enjoyment is multiplied with every shift.  Cheap fun.

Tom

Edited by '76mintgrün'02

2 hours ago, JsnPpp said:

I wasn't aware the e21 G245 was that hard to find. Prices are starting to look like 235/5 prices. How can that be?

Jason

Supply side economics.

Trickle down economics.

Reganomics.

When the supply of something gets small enough, and slightly popular, the price will skyrocket,

as those with absurd amounts of disposable 'wealth' aren't limited by 'demand side' budgets.

The rest of us then move on to E46's or something else that the stratosphere class hasn't found yet.

t

Yes, this directly affects 2002s.

• Like 2

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

1 hour ago, TobyB said:

Supply side economics.

Trickle down economics.

Reganomics.

When the supply of something gets small enough, and slightly popular, the price will skyrocket,

as those with absurd amounts of disposable 'wealth' aren't limited by 'demand side' budgets.

The rest of us then move on to E46's or something else that the stratosphere class hasn't found yet.

t

Yes, this directly affects 2002s.

Makes sense. I get it and agree with you. 

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   + --> Need an Alpina A4 tuning guide? PM me!

I've had mine since something like 86-87, bought it for like $500, was almost new by today's standards, now over 35 years later it is still working like it should. Second gear likes a little heat in the box, but with a car with over 440k on it it's been nice. Originally with the 4:11 LSD longneck and now with 3:91 short neck E21. 4:11 with the 5 speed was quicker and but the 3:91 is nicer at higher speeds for cruising. It is one of the greatest thing on can do it with lower gears and some added HP. The M10 is quite reworked and been a real pleasure for decades. 

Gertrag245_OD5sp060314_02.JPG

• Like 4