• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

5 speed transmissions

joebarthlow

1 hour ago, Greg Mierz said:

I've had mine since something like 86-87, bought it for like $500, was almost new by today's standards, now over 35 years later it is still working like it should. Second gear likes a little heat in the box, but with a car with over 440k on it it's been nice. Originally with the 4:11 LSD longneck and now with 3:91 short neck E21. 4:11 with the 5 speed was quicker and but the 3:91 is nicer at higher speeds for cruising. It is one of the greatest thing on can do it with lower gears and some added HP. The M10 is quite reworked and been a real pleasure for decades. 

How times have changed. I bought a 245 5-speed and 3.91 LSD 8 years ago for the equivalent of $450 USD. The tranny had a slight synchro issue upshifting from 3rd. to 4th. But after a track day a few years ago, the issue resolved itself and it's been perfect ever since. Never had an issue go away from abuse before. lol

1975 - 2002 - Sabine - Jade

2010 Toyota Matrix XR

Remember: RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

17 hours ago, TobyB said:

Supply side economics.

Trickle down economics.

Reganomics.

When the supply of something gets small enough, and slightly popular, the price will skyrocket,

as those with absurd amounts of disposable 'wealth' aren't limited by 'demand side' budgets.

The rest of us then move on to E46's or something else that the stratosphere class hasn't found yet.

t

Yes, this directly affects 2002s.

Be honest, we can all identify a little bit with the kids in this class.

Edited by Dudeland

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

2 hours ago, tzei said:

Now this is what i call a plot twist. From gearboxes to a family reunion.

Excuse the posters.

Attention Deficit Disorder - ADHD In Adults

• Haha 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

15 hours ago, tzei said:

Now this is what i call a plot twist. From gearboxes to a family reunion.

Yeah, sup bro?

LOL.  Having a father not taking no for an answer seems to resonate with many of my friends fathers as well.  Perhaps a product of a generation. 

Edited by Dudeland
More to the point.

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002