• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

123 Distributor Questions

MurphinDC
Go to solution Solved by dlefebvre02,

I looked through all the 123 postings and didn’t see the answers to my questions so your help is appreciated.  I installed my 123 (Bluetooth) distributor yesterday replacing my IE distributor (Tii mechanical style) and have some basic questions.  The install was very simple and I’ve taken the car on a short drive and saw what a difference the 123 makes in smooth acceleration.  Today I hope to start playing with it.  I'm enjoying the car immensely and this forum has given me such confidence and education to work on my car.  Ok, here are my basic questions.  

Questions:

1. When I purchased the car it had the IE distributor(Tii mechanical style) and IE’s Pertronix clone with NO vacuum hoses attached.  The 123 obviously has a vacuum nipple on it, so do I need to run it with vacuum off the carb or intake manifold?
  2. If I don’t need a vacuum hose, do I zero out the vacuum advance curve and just plug the nipple?
  3. Also, I’m running a HotSpark coil and removed the ballast resistor for running the IE Pertronix clone.  I’m assuming I can continue with this set up or do I need to go back to my red coil and tie in the ballast resistor again?

My specs are as follows:

• compression 9.5:1,

• Plugs NGK BP6ES

• Standard cam

• Weber 32/36 dialed to CD’s prescription

• Kingsborne Spark Plug Wire Set

Thanks for your help.

Murph

Edited by MurphinDC
correction

• Solution

Hi!

Several months ago I went through a similar installation, and I came across many of the same questions as you.

1. Per 123Ignition specs, as long as the resistance doesn't drop below 1 Ohm you will be fine. For us, this means we are able to run a very hot red coil with no worry at all (no points to burn up!).

2. We did not change our vacuum line location, so we kept our vacuum line in the standard location off the intake manifold. There should be a little metal nipple sticking out of the manifold, and that's where you connect the other end of the line. I would recommend using the vacuum line (or in other words the vacuum advance, which means connecting the line), however, if you do not need/want to use the vacuum line, you are on the right train of thought. All you would have to do is zero the vacuum advance curve, and the distributor will not utilize the functionality. I do not think you would have to plug the hole from the functionality standpoint, but it would be worth it in order to keep dust/dirt out. In fact, you can connect the vacuum line and zero the vacuum curve, giving you ability to utilize vacuum advance with just a change of curve and keep dirt/dust out. We have several "sport" curves where we turn the functionality off (not useful in a race for example), and by the end of it I'm always happy to have my advance back.

Hope I could answer some of your questions, and I hope you enjoy your 123distributor! It was definitely one of our best purchases I have made for the car!

• Like 1

One very nice thing about the 123 is that you can hook vacuum to the manifold, then make a curve that gives you

low advance at idle- wherever you idle- and then jump up at 1500 for good low- throttle power.

It makes very good sense to use the vacuum advance adder- you'll find power

and efficiency by adding advance at high off- idle light load vacuum.

So yeah, hook it to the manifold.

As to the coil, I'd follow the Pertronix advice, and measure the primary resistance-  if it's below what 123

says (1 ohm as above) I'd say run it.

t

• Like 3

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL