• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

m10 engine - engine water connection for choke

JustMe
Go to solution Solved by Mike Self,

Coolant flows all the time from the water divider to the intake manifold  thru the turquoise colored hose and out the bottom to the pump suction.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

7 minutes ago, jimk said:

Coolant flows all the time from the water divider to the intake manifold  thru the turquoise colored hose and out the bottom to the pump suction.

Jimk, sounds great!

Seems I could then safely use the hole where the water temperature switch was on the above picture assuming its accessing the same chamber where water flows out the hose which is already in place?

1 hour ago, John76 said:

The water choke needs coolant flow, so if connecting the manifold spigot (upper) to the coolant temp spigot (lower) is not a dead end (no flow), then it should work. Easy enough to check once you fill your system and attach your water pump belt.

John

Hey!

Sounds good, I guess I'd check if it's a dead end by leaving the temp switch open and the choke hose beside it and see if water comes from both sides when getting the water pump to turn?

JustMe

I came across an intake manifold diagram on Real OEM.

You might be ok to plumb the choke to the top coolant hose and regular hose barb on the manifold.

Not sure...but looks like the circled items could be for a water choke for blocks that are not drilled/tapped.

983789737_SinglebarrelIntakeManifoldillus..thumb.png.9bb4ed249d2e7d17482aba7c9d7d8b36.png

• Like 1

Ooooh, that looks good! Found the references at Walloth but they're out of stock. Interestingly they mention its for automatic models, could be linked when producing the engines?

Contacted the local BMW dealer if they can source the parts, will always be better than the plumbing equipment I bought from the local DIY store :)

Thanks John76.

JustMe

Another option not discussed is fitting an electric choke.

Not too difficult and the element appears be relatively easy to obtain at reasonable cost.

A simple solution

81LFq0ug94L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

21iy4senMJL._AC_.jpg

IMG_3246.JPG

Edited by tech71

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

Hey everyone! Thanks for the additional options at hand. I did want to try to go for a water operated choke based on other threads I went through on the FAQ, especially given the strong changes in temperature between summer and hiver. If I can't source the right parts, I'll go for the electric choke. Thanks again everyone!

Well well, sourcing the parts that John76 referenced is harder than expected but just in case anyone ever needs the references, here they are:

- Reference #4 : 11611250704

- Reference #5 : 07119963300

- Reference #6 : 11530788123

- Reference #11 : 07119963073

- Reference #12 : 11111250587