• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Long Console Sides for CNC / Laser Cutting - Files

KaneT

'Bravo' Update

Got the 2nd version back from the local laser cutter and it's looking pretty dead on as I can tell. Attached are the files in .dwg + pdf format [the latter on 24x36 'paper size'], with and without the fastener holes [depending on material use]. If working with a local CNC shop to make 1/2" plywood cores for vinyl wrapping, the fastener holes are on a different layer / line weight since these are most likely better scored than drilled through - especially if they're using a larger bit. They can also have these done with a smaller bit potentially.

I've spent 50 freedom bucks and ordered 2 sides out of 1/2" birch that I'm planning on routing the outside edge and painting for an experiment I've been thinking on - maybe with the M stripes? Have also ordered a 1/2" HDPE version to see how that looks and how easy it is to work with. Will make following posts on what happens.

If there's any edit request to the files please feel free to DM me

------------------------------------------------------

Original Post:

With a desire to potentially make a console out of alternative materials [titanium?!], or to make a 1/2" plywood base to vinyl wrap, I've embarked on converting the 'long' side profiles into CAD files to share so others can do the same. Have worked through the 'alpha' version and should get the 'bravo' version back from the laser cutter in the next few days but wanted to offer an update from the "what I did today" thread.

Started with an excellent condition original vinyl wrapped version from @BarneyT's shop [soon to be in his ceylon] and hand traced on to plywood an as-accurate-as-possible reproduction. From there it was a matter of measuring angles with an angle finder originally purchased to help miter trim, and plotting in cm where specific points were [ruler from AVE]. Made a border in Autocad then proceeded to fill in the knowns and use the good ole' fillet tool with assumed / educated guess radii at the curves to get close to where we needed to be. At this point I pushed the alpha version out to the local shop and had them cut me a prototype out of 1/4" plywood scrap they had on hand.

Comparing with the original there were a couple areas that needed tweaking - but holding up into place in my car it was honestly pretty damn close.. but we're chasing perfection here! [and the approval of engineers commonly found on this fine website]. Also added the centers for the screw clips that tie it into the rest of the system that can be scored onto whatever final material.

Next step after getting the next version is to do, what I hope is, a final edit or approval and pass on the files here for the group to use. I plan on doing the door cards next, then doing a 'short' side profile version. I just don't like particle board or MDF for these things and feel we deserve better.

Will update this post + thread soon

20221114_194926.jpg

20221114_201539.jpg

20221116_163141.jpg

20221118_225355.jpg

KaneT - Console Sides Bravo_Print NO FAST.dwg KaneT - Console Sides Bravo_Print.dwg

KaneT - Console Sides Bravo_Print.pdf KaneT - Console Sides Bravo_Print NO FAST.pdf

Edited by KaneT
Additional info - added .dwg + pdf files
  • Like 10

11 hours ago, visionaut said:

I did find this earlier when I looked at building an initial base file, but when I imported the PDF into Autocad and Illustrator it appeared it was either rasterized or flattened and lost the vector quality to it that a laser cutter or CNC needs to make clean cuts. The polylines were populated with a ton of points - what did you create this from originally? Maybe I can figure out a way to convert

• Like 1

The outline is, as you noted, a traced shape, made of points connected by line segments. I only reduced the point set on the larger straight sections (so yeah, lots of points in the curvy sections).  I never bothered to finish fully simplifying the shape, converting the curved sections to specific radii or bezier paths…

I can upload a better version of the outline if you’d like to play with it in CAD software. The PDF was just intended for printing out a full-scale template. Hopefully the dimensions for the holes pattern was useful…I believe they’re the same whether the console sides are for AC or not.

• Like 1

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

1 hour ago, visionaut said:

The outline is, as you noted, a traced shape, made of points connected by line segments. I only reduced the point set on the larger straight sections (so yeah, lots of points in the curvy sections).  I never bothered to finish fully simplifying the shape, converting the curved sections to specific radii or bezier paths…

I can upload a better version of the outline if you’d like to play with it in CAD software. The PDF was just intended for printing out a full-scale template. Hopefully the dimensions for the holes pattern was useful…I believe they’re the same whether the console sides are for AC or not.

I punched through the holes from @BarneyT's best version and was able to map them out pretty accurately. Thankfully everything seems to be a logical dimensioning in cm [X.25 / .5 / .75, etc]. At this point I think just finding the best versions of other types of sides would be best. I have the system down pretty good now for tracing and importing the outlines into CAD.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, had a bit of a comical interaction with sendcutsend when they were letting me know they were unable to make the holes for the screws. I thought it was odd given how large of a processing facility they must have but let it go thinking they didn't want to use multiple machines etc. Turns out it's because they had incorrectly scaled the file in MM instead of CM. See below pieces I received.. common mint for scale. Will be trying again with the local shop that I can physically walk in and discuss options with

Mintforscale.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1