• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

5 Speed Transmission

Scott W. Long

FYI the pricing on the MM website is not current. Jim quoted me $6995 for a 245 back in September.  The reality is he won’t sell you one unless you find a good one for him to rebuild. I decide to go with the 240 instead. 

Edited by E60coyote
typo

A few years back I went on a 245 buying spree and acquired about 10 good transmissions and 8 good 3.64 and 3.91 LSDs. 

All my cars have those set ups now. I was paying $300-800 per trans and $300-700 per LSD. Today, I can get over $1500 per trans or diff. iI I had to do it again, I wouldn't feel so great about spending $3500-4k for the pair, and then another $1500 in misc parts, then the install. It adds up really fast. 

But shifting into fifth gear reminds me that I have the means and that's pretty special too. It makes the drive that much better when I don't have to think about navigating around a freeway. Now I happily drive wherever I want and take the 02s.

There is someone in a 2002 facebook group who intimately tracks 2002 sales pricing year over year and one of the variables he tracks is whether the car sold has a 5 speed vs the standard 4 speed transmission. I remember him mentioning that on average, a 5 speed swap adds $7500 to the sold price vs 4-speed equipped cars. I remember messaging him for clarification and what I learned was just that: people prefer 5-speed equipped cars and are willing to pay for them. 

Edited by danco_
  • Like 3

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

In 2009, I paid $315 for a 245 on eBay ($380 shipped from PA to VA).  Ten years later, I paid $1k for another 245 that I helped pull from an e21.  When I built the 69, I thought it would never need a 5 speed.  A few long distance trips verified the need.

• Like 1

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

7 hours ago, E60coyote said:

FYI the pricing on the MM website is not current. Jim quoted me $6995 for a 245 back in September.  The reality is he won’t sell you one unless you find a good one for him to rebuild. I decide to go with the 240 instead. 

I hear ya. Makes me wanna raise my for sale offer.  Naw, just kidding but the supposition on value has to elevate to the times.  

A $2 dollar bill yesterday is more like $22 today, if you can find one.   

But what do I know

59 minutes ago, conkitchen said:

A $2 dollar bill yesterday is more like $22 today, if you can find one. 

Go to a bank and buy a bundle.  I get one from the "finance guy" at every retirees luncheon as change for a $20 for a burger and all the beer I want. He comes with a hand full of brand new ones.  The cost $2 each.  A $3 bill might be $22 😁

• Haha 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

2 hours ago, jimk said:

Go to a bank and buy a bundle.  I get one from the "finance guy" at every retirees luncheon as change for a $20 for a burger and all the beer I want. He comes with a hand full of brand new ones.  The cost $2 each.  A $3 bill might be $22 😁

I guess I should have said a $2 bill is worth $10.48. it sure feels like what you get for $22 is that of $2 these days. At least in CA.  

A $3 bill is worth what a wooden nickel costs in today's money.  

Value of $1 from 1976 to 2022

$1 in 1976 is equivalent in purchasing power to about $5.24 today, an increase of $4.24 over 46 years. The dollar had an average inflation rate of 3.67% per year between 1976 and today, producing a cumulative price increase of 423.75%.

But what do I know

I had a girl at a well-known fast food place refuse a 2 dollar  bill because there's no such thing,  I requested that she take it to her manager who called the cops on me for passing a counterfeit bill, the cops and I had a good laugh at their expense.

PS. If you need a 2$ bll here in Washington just ride on our ferry system they love to pass out the less used currency. 

Edited by Son of Marty
  • Haha 2

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Know what’s irritating?

I have a 245 I acquired in a trade, no back story only that the guy bought it in a junk yard years ago and never installed.

There appears to be only 2 real ways to determine  if it’s serviceable.

1. install it into a car at considerable cost

2. ship it off to MM for tear down and inspection also at Considerable cost.

Both options suck so it just sits there in my garage, mocking me

Edited by tech71
  • Haha 1

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

27 minutes ago, tech71 said:

Know what’s irritating?

I have a 245 I acquired in a trade, no back story only that the guy bought it in a junk yard years ago and never installed.

Option 3 attach a corded drill to the input shaft and spin it in all the different gears listening for any weird noises.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, tech71 said:

Know what’s irritating?

The Duality of Man. 

Sell it to me if you are afraid to move in a forward direction. I'll take the risk you won't. 

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards