• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

5 Speed Transmission

Scott W. Long

12 hours ago, 2002iii said:

Option 3 attach a corded drill to the input shaft and spin it in all the different gears listening for any weird noises.

Since the box is under zero load, only partially effective and by no means definitive.

34 minutes ago, danco_ said:

Sell it to me if you are afraid to move in a forward direction. I'll take the risk you won't. 

Thought you had like, ten of them already, thats like, a stock portfolio.

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

11 minutes ago, tech71 said:

Since the box is under zero load, only partially effective and by no means definitive.

Thought you had like, ten of them already, thats like, a stock portfolio.

I'm a glutton for obscure, possibly inoperable Getrag 245/5 boxes that are not rebuildable unless you machine input and output shafts to accept entirely different bearings of which you will pay $5k for this service. 

It's a lifestyle choice. 

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

1 hour ago, tech71 said:

Sell it to me if you are afraid to move in a forward direction. I'll take the risk you won't.

I've considered putting it on Ebay listed "as is, buyer assumes all responsibility" just to see what the market will bear but, dont want to deal with the inevitable torrent of messages from people trying to weasel some form of reassurance from me that its a "good" box.🙄

Franzi would benefit from a 5 speed but I have a known good 240 sitting in my 85 E30 donor car along with readily adaptable no cut  DS. Seems like a more logical choice at this point.

Edited by tech71

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

3 minutes ago, tech71 said:

I've considered putting it on Ebay listed "as is, buyer assumes all responsibility" just to see what the market will bear but dont want to deal with the inevitable torrent of messages from people trying to weasel some form of reassurance from me that its a "good" box.🙄

Why are you posting my buyer tactics all over the internet for all to see! 😅

You have it right though. If you can’t vouch for the box, definitely don’t vouch for the box. 

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

8 hours ago, danco_ said:

Why are you posting my buyer tactics all over the internet for all to see! 😅

You have it right though. If you can’t vouch for the box, definitely don’t vouch for the box. 

Even if you vouch for it, they install and use it, you will hear from them a year later when they run into an issue.  "hey man you said it was a good transmission" = I wanted a fully rebuilt with warranty for used prices.  

But what do I know, I still get calls and emails from people I sold cars to years ago.  

Edited by conkitchen
  • Like 2

But what do I know

22 minutes ago, conkitchen said:

Even if you vouch for it, they install and use it, you will hear from them a year later when they run into an issue.  "hey man you said it was a good transmission" = I wanted a fully rebuilt with warranty for used prices.  

But what do I know, I still get calls and emails from people I sold cars to years ago.  

Sounds like you didn't drive the "sold as-is" message home during some of your past sales. That's a you problem, or at least a miscommunication of some kind. 

Edited by danco_

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

32 minutes ago, danco_ said:

Sounds like you didn't drive the "sold as-is" message home during some of your past sales. That's a you problem, or at least a miscommunication of some kind. 

Naw, I make the same mistake often of being a nice guy and offer to help folks out when I can. SO they call me for my bad expert advice. 

But what do I know

I wonder if I could get a T18 3 speed in there?

Maybe mounted upside down, or on its side, so the box stuck into

the cabin for more of that 'authentic straight- cut gear whine'

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

11 hours ago, TobyB said:

I wonder if I could get a T18 3 speed in there?

Maybe mounted upside down, or on its side, so the box stuck into

the cabin for more of that 'authentic straight- cut gear whine'

t

Perhaps you can get some visual clues from the mad max movies, that post Armageddon minimalist look might work with that box...

• Like 1

1971 2002ti, 1985 E30 320i, 1960 Land Rover 109 Ser 2, 1963 Land Rover 88 Ser 2a, 1980 Land Rover Ser 3 Lightweight 

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, jimk said:

You have to be kidding.  Those are used for GM full size pickups.

As I said above, would need some visual clues from mad max to make something like that work...

1971 2002ti, 1985 E30 320i, 1960 Land Rover 109 Ser 2, 1963 Land Rover 88 Ser 2a, 1980 Land Rover Ser 3 Lightweight 

I recently accidentally picked up one of the E30 1.8I engine's with a Zf-S5-16 Does anyone have experience working with one of these? I'm not finding a lot about them online.

Edited by Lotek
not enough coffee

Lotek, search this board.  There is a long discussion about them

maybe 6 months back- there is current racing parts support...

t

Edited by TobyB

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL