• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Glove box lock

bavariaboy

Recently an 02 appeared on BaT with a glove box lock. The key was in the keyhole so it looked a little awkward. But without the key the chrome keyhole was rather interesting. And I believe they were a factory or dealer option. I am thinking of purchasing one for Lilli, my 76 2002. If anyone has photos I would appreciate having some. Might a part number exist? 

The story goes there is a factory drilled hole in the dash surface. I think I found it by reaching up inside the glove box. And there appears to be a piece of tape covering the inside of the hole.

Thanks,

Steve

• Like 1

I was wondering the same. I just bought a 72 tii and got a third type of key, a small key. Was told it was glovebox. Been preoccupied making it street legal to bother yet with that lol. 

• Like 1

2003 e39 M5 (daily)

1986 e30 325es (sons car)

1972 2002tii (fun daily alternative)

Yep, this was an accessory item sold by dealers back in the day.  If you look up inside your glovebox at the underside of the dashboard, you'll see a round hole in the metal of the dash.  This is where the lock is supposed to go.  To install, you cut through the plastic/hardboard where the hole in the metal is located, and install the lock.  

I don't have my 1976 BMWCCA Tech Tips book handy, but if someone on the board does, there's a write- up about the accessory, and how a clever soul found a hardware store lock that did exactly the same thing for a lot less $$ (that was back when the lock was available as an official BMW accessory from the dealer). 

Actually, truth be told, they will keep the honest people out of your glovebox (sorta like locking a convertible) but the glovebox itself is flimsy enough that a medium sized screwdriver will pop it open, even when locked.  Then you have to find a replacement glovebox...

But an interesting accessory, nonetheless.

mike 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Nice photos @Greg R aka Big_Lebowski. The glove box won't stay shut on it's own so I thought it was something they did when the car was in Bogota. And no there was no large stash of powder or cash in there, although I am still looking. 

@Mike Self cool to know it offered. The glovebox won't stay shut without it so I assumed it was something the previous owner did in Bogota. 

I agree with @Henning from a protection standpoint. I have an 02 4runner and discovered leaving the glove box unlocked causes less damage because locking makes them think there is something valuable in there and they go at the dash with a screwdriver or worse. 

@bavariaboy I do like the style of it though. I'll can send you pics when I am back in town if you like. If someone finds the write up Mike describes we can link them. 

LMK,

Jake

Edited by Devilish_02

Everybody's wave breaks a little different

3 hours ago, Greg R aka Big_Lebowski said:

I took a couple pics of Jake’s 02 at one of our Austin C&Cs.   

92E14668-57B7-4428-9C04-AEEC8F1D84AC.jpeg

3011C9C9-8C85-4C62-83E5-C5884D2BB625.jpeg

Strange. Mine definitely doesn’t have that lock on top side of dash. So my extra small key, with same patina as other original keys (ignition and trunk) is a mystery. 

2003 e39 M5 (daily)

2 hours ago, AceAndrew said:

Could be gas cap, of which there were a handful of types.  

Bet that's what that extra little key is for...there were three different styles of factory accessory gas caps, and AFAIK they all used slightly different keys.  Not having ever seen a factory glovebox lock in person, I'm not sure what the key looks like, but do know it would be different from either the trunk or ignition key, as it would have  been bought as an accessory, just like a locking gas cap.

mike

• Like 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

6 hours ago, AceAndrew said:

@Pablo M Could be gas cap, of which there were a handful of types.  Post a picture of the key, and we may be able to help narrow it down.

3 hours ago, Mike Self said:

Bet that's what that extra little key is for...there were three different styles of factory accessory gas caps, and AFAIK they all used slightly different keys.  Not having ever seen a factory glovebox lock in person, I'm not sure what the key looks like, but do know it would be different from either the trunk or ignition key, as it would have  been bought as an accessory, just like a locking gas cap.

mike

I suspected it was for a locking gas cap, although I don’t have a locking cap and the cap I do have appears original, or at least showing some appropriate age. 

In this photo the pair above are the spare ignition key and small key in question. 
lower pair is original ignition key (that broke the other day) and trunk key. 
image.thumb.jpeg.07f09882a6a988075385ac320bee9ffc.jpeg

2003 e39 M5 (daily)

@bavariaboy

Outside, looking in, and then looking up. The brand is Huf but probably doesn't matter. And that site looks like a rabbit hole for potential upgrades 😆

huf-1-company_0.jpg?itok=beLS_ZNn
WWW.HUF-GROUP.COM

Huf is the global market leader for lock sets and offers the most secure car keys and lock cylinders to protect cars against theft.

Screen Shot 2022-11-28 at 5.13.32 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-11-28 at 5.13.12 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-11-28 at 5.13.02 PM.png

• Like 1

Everybody's wave breaks a little different