• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Glove box lock

bavariaboy

Tom,

What a great resource. I wish it was dated and wonder if a later catalog would have shown the lock? There is no mention of these parts being available for a tii. An interesting omission. Your thoughts?

I will keep searching, but until I have proof the glove box lock was offered later in the run I would not install it.

Thanks,

Steve 

59 minutes ago, bavariaboy said:

I will keep searching, but until I have proof the glove box lock was offered later in the run I would not install it.

Dunno about the accessories catalog, but I just checked inside the glovebox on my Feb 69 production US spec 2002--there's a hole in the steel dashboard support for that accessory glovebox lock...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Steve,

Tom’s catalogue does not mention the tii because it pre-dates the tii (introduced in April 1971).

The glove box lock was available throughout the square taillight era. It appeared in a ca. 1975 dealer accessories brochure, along with golden oldies like the under-bumper fog light guards! I recall the brochure, but if I owned a copy, I‘ve lost it.

I debated the need for a glove compartment lock for years, but decided that — unlike my use-it-everyday tii clock — it simply wasn’t worth cutting my dashboard…

Best regards,

Steve C.

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

7 hours ago, Mike Self said:

Dunno about the accessories catalog, but I just checked inside the glovebox on my Feb 69 production US spec 2002--there's a hole in the steel dashboard support for that accessory glovebox lock...

mike

I have the same hole for a lock in the steel dashboard support of my Feb 68 1600-2. It sure seems like someone was planning for these locks.

Stephen Bruns

1968 1600-2  "Stuart"

1973 3.0CS  "Raven"  https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/the-raven-e9-project.26879/

1967 VW Beetle  "Templeton"

Ah, you  never make it easy. I am now betwixt and between about the glove box lock. It was a certified BMW factory option in the day. It adds a bit of bling to the dash( positive or negative is in the eye of the beholder). It really does not lock the box, for as someone in an earlier post suggested, one push on a screwdriver wedged between the dash and the box would easily pop it open. 

So I welcome your opinions as to whether I should continue my search for the elusive Glove Box Lock. 

Thanks,

Steve

49 minutes ago, bavariaboy said:

… It was a certified BMW factory option in the day…

Well, Steve, it was a BMW “dealer accessory” for ‘02’s as far as I know.

What is the condition of Lilli’s dashboard — I’m suspecting it might be an excellent original example?

Whereas I have no regrets about cutting my then-new dashboard in 1976 to install a tii clock — which I use every single time I drive the car — there’s is no way I’d cut an excellent-or-better dashboard for a glove compartment lock!

That’s where I’m at!

Best regards,

Steve C. 

39 minutes ago, marklimon said:
a20792913d28d94a87b4f9_m__86946.14174593
WWW.ROGERSTII.COM

BMW 2002 Glovebox Lock

Only a look.

I think there was originally a black plastic escutcheon or washer that fit behind the face of the lock. The key, which is like an ‘02 trunk key, and the lock look absolutely correct.

I can’t believe no one on this forum — including myself — has a copy of the ca. 1975 dealer accessories brochure!

Let’s start digging through those boxes of old BMW literature!

Regards,

Steve

3 hours ago, bavariaboy said:

It adds a bit of bling to the dash( positive or negative is in the eye of the beholder). It really does not lock the box, for as someone in an earlier post suggested, one push on a screwdriver wedged between the dash and the box would easily pop it open. 

So I welcome your opinions as to whether I should continue my search for the elusive Glove Box Lock. 

Perhaps you should install a faux lock.  Then, all you'd need to do is stick it to your dash with double-stick tape.  No drilling required.  Instant bling that is totally reversible (and almost as secure as the real thing).  

image.thumb.jpeg.a686fcb046282496c904104fdc6d8c95.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.fc25ad1a9c29d055d965ff8b08eb2ffd.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Well, now I have a number of options. We shall see what my source in Germany turns up. I only want an original lock in the orginal parts bag. Setting the bar pretty high. However, this is the same guy who sourced my Winter Grill Covers off the shelf of a dealer in Finland. One of the three countries, the others being Denmark and Sweden, where BMW sold the Covers.

We shall see.