• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Green Fog Light Button to Right of Ashtray

Scott W. Long

By the way, 

The illuminated purple switch that I use allowed the factory supplier's bulb (I assume) to get hot enough to melt the purple plastic. I'd suggest a cooler running LED in its place.

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

14 hours ago, Conserv said:

+1

’02 era auxiliary light switches have the thin “chrome” decorative band surrounding the green push button, designed to match the ‘02 hazard light switch (as below, first photo).

Your swapping method is excellent, as it allows the much broader supply of BMW auxiliary light switches to be converted into “02 switches”! 😉

Auxiliary lights in the U.S. were strictly post-factory. The green buttons, which replaced the green factory dummy buttons, standard on U.S. ‘02’s from the Modell 71 (April 1971) onward, were actually pretty rare. Many ‘02 owners used a range of aftermarket switches for their auxiliary lights rather than purchase the factory switch. I, personally, suspect the green buttons might not have existed before the Modell 71. And when I purchased a new switch for my new ‘76 on August 18, 1976, it was the green-with-chrome-trim switch still in use on my ‘76 ($6.63 with PA sales tax, as shown in the second photo).

But square taillight cars made life easier with their dedicated front fog light switch adjacent to the instrument cluster. This freed us to use the green push button for driving lights or a rear fog lamp!

Regards,

Steve

49449FE5-6525-4D34-8DE5-26EC9986A29E.jpeg

663D4D85-8C62-416A-A237-8B1728DF5AFB.jpeg

Steve,

At what point after August '76 did you change the spelling of your name?

:D

• Like 1

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

2 hours ago, ray_ said:

Steve,

At what point after August '76 did you change the spelling of your name?

:D

Don’t know where that “m” came from, but it’s been spelled worse, so… 😁

Best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)