• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MVP aftermarket turn signal problem

slowbert

This shorting out issue with the MVP turns was discussed a while ago:

I've since reverted back to some decent OEM US (bulbous) turns on my 74tii which uses a single dual filament bulb.

Edited by JohnS
  • Like 1

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

When I changed those lenses to the euro style, I drilled the rivets that held the bulb bracket and swapped the oe ones into the new ones with pop rivets.  Removed the pop rivet nail and mounted the light assembly in the fender as original.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

17 minutes ago, jimk said:

When I changed those lenses to the euro style, I drilled the rivets that held the bulb bracket and swapped the oe ones into the new ones with pop rivets.  Removed the pop rivet nail and mounted the light assembly in the fender as original.

This is a winner. The screw openings are about 3.4mm and a 3/16 pop rivet is about 3mm ID. Clean it up with a drill and it should work. 

I will replate the bracket and it will be better than new. 

Many thanks! (I’ll post a picture when I do the modification, probably over the weekend.)

0042EE85-4F66-46B8-BF31-C07EB9DF2548.jpeg

77EA2833-8BCE-4D82-9F49-CFC7FBDB3AAE.jpeg

design may have been rev’d because i installed flat version from mvp recently and the driving light bulb wire spring connector had been inverted to be between the frame and the plastic cover. all that is on outside of frame facing car is a cantilevered contact tab, which is uber flimsy so another rev is needed. 

below is pic of version direct shipped by mvp last month showing the design rev. i havent driven much with them in, but does appear to correct the body shorting issue. however, as there is only one copper contact tab to driving light there is little spring force to maintain the tab contact. so i give the rev a C- as not sufficiently robust.D2576605-2FD3-4C4A-8658-1B96DB27EE3F.thumb.jpeg.809793e216e2b5a7c6380693611dfbfd.jpeg

revs take time to work through retailer inventories so consider inquiring before purchase.

Edited by Howardpowered
add pic
  • Like 1

I didn't notice this at first, but this image (taken from the thread mentioned above) shows the same spring loaded connector *mounted on the outboard side of the frame* whereas mine has the same connector mounted on the *inboard side of the frame*.  At first glance, this looks like an original turn signal, just judging from the pitting.

I don't know if I can remove and replace the connector from its swaged installation, but this solution would be the optimal - and should be the revision that MVP needs to do.

post-32053-0-28149100-1448711253_thumb.j

• Like 2

16 hours ago, slowbert said:

This is a winner. The screw openings are about 3.4mm and a 3/16 pop rivet is about 3mm ID. Clean it up with a drill and it should work. 

I faced the same problem working with my early car flat lenses and having to swap the bulb holders.  I used brass sleeves meant for compression fittings on plastic tubing--and (of course!) did a column on how to do it.  PM me for a copy.  I did those lenses in either 1999 or 2000 and they're still holding just fine.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

43 minutes ago, slowbert said:

I have not contacted MVP. Yet. 

since they have already addressed this issue, they may accept an exchange for their rev’d version if you have not already much modified what you have (like i woulda by now).

Edited by Howardpowered

On 12/5/2022 at 5:49 PM, Mike Self said:

I'd also have a chat with the maker/supplier.  For that kind of money, they ought to fit right out of the box...

mike

I had that assembly completely fall apart on my flat lens version when I tried to install it and I got no help from the seller or MVP.  I was able to glue it back together but I was not pleased with how easily it failed. I shouldn't have to pop rivet new parts that cost hundreds of dollars.  But I guess that's all part of the fun.  And from what I hear the customer service has improved since they really came online.  

• Like 1

On 12/6/2022 at 2:16 PM, Lorin said:

I wonder how you say inboard and outboard in Chinese. 

Outboard means a higher butt line (or buttock line) and inboard means a smaller butt line.  At least that is using the water line/station line/butt line terminology of aerospace.