• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear seat side panel vinyl finishing

PhilC

Having completed my front panels (almost) I am now about to embark on the rears.

Question - is the vinyl on the rear trailing edge supposed to be all flappy and hanging loose or is it supposed to be glued over nicely? There do not seem to be any staples that would have been there originally. The edge is hidden behind the rear seat back anyway so can’t be seen. I wondered if it was due to the curve of the panel and allowed flexibility in the vinyl, thus no creases?

5471966A-302D-413C-98F1-A8F473BECA31.thumb.jpeg.1566d7be8ee08b95a3218b5a0482aa56.jpeg

6BBF424B-27D6-4E32-9952-3025E281D061.thumb.jpeg.5c8e6fc689c9c03a347f1046289c35bb.jpeg

• Like 1

Phil

1975 1602 with an M42 engine.

Project thread http://www.02forum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=14853#p107713

Phil, I just sent one of my rear panels off to the upholster not too long ago to get fixed as the cardboard backing had a couple of large cracks.  As you can see if the picture, the vinyl is stapled to the cardboard.  Looking at your first picture in the upper right hand corner I can just make out the staples holding securing the vinyl to the cardboard on the upper edge.  You may also want to try cleaning the vinyl with Goop if it is available where you are.  It does a great job taking off the old dirt and grime, brings a nice shine back to the vinyl.  Good luck with your project.  Cheers, Charles

back side rear door card.jpg

1974 2002tii Schwarz 

1973 Bavaria Sahara

1976 2002 Sahara once upon a time

Thanks Charles but that is the forward edge. Mine is stapled on the forward edge, it’s the rear (trailing) edge I’m asking about.

FYI, we don’t have Goop in the UK as far as I am aware. I use Autoglym which is generally pretty good.

Phil

Mine is loose like yours and I believe it's to cover any exposed steel where a gap might exist between the seat and the side panel.

BMW 2002 Rear Seat Area 005.JPG

Edited by jimk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

They should be stapled all the way around, at least on the early cars up to 73.    The piece that went over the wheel well was a separate piece glued onto the wheel well.    Just in case , you could see that area between the seat and side panel.       Cant remember about 74-76 years

Thanks, Rick  

Well mine haven’t been messed with as far as I can see. There are no staple holes on the rear edge and no indication of any glue. Maybe they changed in ‘74 as above.

Stripped, nowhere near as bad as Charles’ thankfully. A couple of little repairs.

BC47A2EC-551F-4858-B224-A2F5369E5C50.thumb.jpeg.a6a02f2f131a736e19c7e4be3b65997c.jpeg

90F12B7A-FE95-4AD9-9EB6-D57439D4B3AF.thumb.jpeg.c2f162aadea116a0cd6dc0a770c10f3a.jpeg

Blue vinyl reinstated.

95642083-C59C-49BF-9BA2-A533CB7B47EC.thumb.jpeg.ee347b9575e56802a9a364f991aa2f36.jpeg

Phil

The trailing edge is folded over and stapled on my '73.  However, that trailing edge is very short where it's stapled over--just barely enough material to staple.  It's been awhile since I've had a back seat out, but I seem to recall a separate piece of vinyl that was glued directly to the inner wheel well to cover any possible gap between the side upholstery panel and the rear seat back.  If you look at the picture of Jimk's red car, you'll notice that "bridge" piece is smooth, while the upper portion of the side panel is ribbed--so that looks like two separate pieces.  

Were it my car, Phil, I'd fold the loose vinyl over the back side of the panel and glue it with contact cement or similar.  Use some potato chip bag clamps to hold it while the glue dries (binder clips will dent the vinyl).  If you don't have that little "bridge" piece, I wouldn't lose any sleep, as there's no gap between the seat back and the quarter panel.  That little piece was typical German thoroughness and shows the high level of quality even on their least expensive cars...

mike

• Like 3

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Like what Stephers said.

All the 73 and earlier that I have, have that piece folded around and stapled, all the 74-76 are left loose (not stapled, glued or otherwise).

• Like 2

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

2 hours ago, stephers said:

The piece that went over the wheel well was a separate piece glued onto the wheel well. 

Agree.  My bad memory.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Here are a couple of pictures of the backside of my door cards (original from a 74tii), a full shot and then a close-up of the trailing edge.  Staples secure the vinyl to the board nearly all the way around except along the top edge where it is glued to the trim strip.  

Door card backside full.jpg

Door card backside back edge.jpg

• Thanks 1

1974 2002tii Schwarz 

1973 Bavaria Sahara

1976 2002 Sahara once upon a time

Great work @PhilC, that looks nice.

On a related note, are there any issues with fitment or clips installing properly if a layer of fiberglass or two is used to repair and strengthen the original fiberboard?  Mine are pretty beat up and I don't really like the idea of using a flat board.  I like the original shape and design, so I would like to stick with the original rear cards, and just repair them.

• Thanks 1

Karl B.

1974 2002tii Malaga ("Conrad") -->> Conrad's Restoration Blog

2003 330i ZHP 6-spd

2011 328i xDrive