• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

One Owner Turkisblau 2002

Collén

10 hours ago, Collén said:

I have a question for those more knowledgeable.. is there any record of factory overspray? I don’t really have any reason to doubt the veracity of the owners recounting of the vehicle but there is a bit of paint in the trunk on the rubber covering the driver side shock. There are plenty of little bubbles of ruse and dings / dents / patina all over the car but i noticed that and thought I’d ask 

Those covers were, indeed, installed after the body had been painted, so, generally, there is no evidence of factory overspray on such trim items. But… there was also a history of damage in shipping and handling, before and after delivery to the local dealership, with repairs made — often quickly and crudely — at the ports of entry, at the dealerships upon arrival, or at the dealerships before retail delivery. As a rule, such damage, and its repair, was not disclosed to the original buyers.

For overseas deliveries, i.e., anything non-continental Europe, one to three months could easily pass between factory completion date and physical delivery of the car to the local dealership. Then additional time could elapse as the car sat waiting for a retail buyer. In short, even if you were the original purchaser, a substantial “unknown and undisclosed” period preceded your car’s delivery.

My ‘76 was manufactured April 23, 1976. I purchased and registered the car July 30, 1976. Although the original purchaser of a “brand new” car, I have zero knowledge of those three-plus months! 🙄

Of course, things happened even after retail delivery. Much of this the owners may recall; some of which the owners don’t recall. My ‘76’s service records have revealed repairs I don’t recall, e.g., three windshield washer reservoirs, new synchros at 80K (after factory-replaced synchros at 20K, which I do recall).

In short, there are lots of “unknowns” over 50 years, even by someone who has known a car for most of those years!

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

29 minutes ago, 02Les said:

Don't see any factory stickers under the hood indicating some paint work there at least. Could well have had a respray at some time.

+1

And this reminded me that Turkis is a metallic paint. A metallic paint ‘02 that has not had any panels re-painted is virtually unheard of. BMW metallic paints were a slow train wreck. In the last half of 1973, they introduced their newest “PVC-frei” formulation, the best of the ‘02 era metallics. A friend’s father’s 1976 Anthrazitgrau ‘02 lasted 2 1/2 years before the paint failed. My ‘76 lasted 3 1/2 years before its Polaris paint failed…

BMW’s policy in the mid-‘70’s was to pay for repainting if the paint failed within three years of purchase. I was SOL. And I didn’t buy another BMW until 2010, on account of their miserable policy.

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 02Les said:

Don't see any factory stickers under the hood indicating some paint work there at least. Could well have had a respray at some time.

Also, there is no factory insulation on the underside of the hood nor any sign that it was ever there. Another indication of later paintwork.

216B9365-616E-46BB-AD94-F5ECF83D5507.thumb.jpeg.da6e316113d79461f3a73eac45b5cd61.jpeg40618A03-069E-499E-AFC0-70FFBE5FA61C.thumb.jpeg.ed21b4c5420721a0811f3ca9e04f9909.jpeg

just having a look through pics I took, I see these 3. I’ll have to check closer next time I’m around the car. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Collén said:

216B9365-616E-46BB-AD94-F5ECF83D5507.thumb.jpeg.da6e316113d79461f3a73eac45b5cd61.jpeg40618A03-069E-499E-AFC0-70FFBE5FA61C.thumb.jpeg.ed21b4c5420721a0811f3ca9e04f9909.jpeg

just having a look through pics I took, I see these 3. I’ll have to check closer next time I’m around the car. 

Interesting. How did a RHD car destined for Australia get a USA emissions sticker? Did Australia have emissions restrictions back in 1973?

• Like 1

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

4 hours ago, Conserv said:

BMW metallic paints were a slow train wreck. In the last half of 1973, 

To be fair so was everyone elses at this point. All Hoffman cars were shipper break bulk on cargo ships one thing BMWNA changed was shipping on dedicated car carriers, this cut the predelivery body damage dramaticly, but don't think the longshoremen that unloaded your car gave a rats ass about not running your dead cold unbroken in motor at red line coming off the ship.

• Like 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

2 hours ago, 02Les said:

Interesting. How did a RHD car destined for Australia get a USA emissions sticker? Did Australia have emissions restrictions back in 1973?

Mmmm yeah don’t fart at the bar😜

Our UV  as you know is savage, so a paint job may have happened especially given a metallic colour, that said there isn’t any leading by the looks of it above the headlights? Maybe at sometime it had new wings and a paint, either way it’s bloody lovely and I’d love to have it sitting next to my 02 in the garage! 

Enjoy the car, I’ve seen it on the Aus 02 Facebook page!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, SydneyTii said:

Mmmm yeah don’t fart at the bar😜

Our UV  as you know is savage, so a paint job may have happened especially given a metallic colour, that said there isn’t any leading by the looks of it above the headlights? Maybe at sometime it had new wings and a paint, either way it’s bloody lovely and I’d love to have it sitting next to my 02 in the garage! 

Enjoy the car, I’ve seen it on the Aus 02 Facebook page!

I’m definitely not the expert on this model car so just checking what I find based off what people post here. This site has been a breath of fresh air compared to the endless scattered Facebook groups out there. 

Edited by Collén
  • Like 2

This is a great example of a largely-original ‘02.

I know you’ve heard the original owner’s origin story of the car. There is no downside, however, to collecting additional facts, from additional sources, including the car itself. For instance, I’d recommend you email BMW Group Archives (hdz.info@bmwgroup.com), providing the car’s VIN and requesting their info on the car: manufacturing date, date that title was delivered from BMW AG to the Australian importer, factory color. There is no charge.

Meanwhile, the VIN decoder offered by the BMW 2002 Car Club of Columbia will provide a more general manufacturing date range.

WWW.BMWCLASICOS.COM

Adquiere Merchandising del BMW Club Clásicos Colombia Decodificador de la serie...

The steel rim you’ve shown was manufactured March 1973 (“3/73”). And the “eared” headrests I see in the photos were introduced in late January 1973. These suggest to me that this car was manufactured in March 1973 or later. Perhaps the owner ordered the car in 1972, but it was probably manufactured in 1973. Many ‘02 components — engine blocks, heads, lights, rims, seats, instruments, etc. — have manufacturing dates stamped, cast, or inked on them.

The central cloth sections of the seats have, predictably even for low mileage, well-cared-for cars of this age, been recovered. The fabric is not original and the number of pleats today is less than the original configuration — 12 pleats on a 1973’s front seats and 35 pleats on a 1973’s rear seat.

None of this actually changes the car’s value, but — don’t get into a big-money bet on the seats having their original cloth… 😉

You might want to also look at the engine, for its dates. The basics, at least, are outlined in the following article:

The depth of experience and knowledge on this forum is amazing. No one person here knows everything about ‘02’s, but together, the “forum” knows close to everything! Just ask.

Congrats and regards,

Steve

242B0525-569F-4184-BFC8-FB9D8A5490CE.jpeg

5645B62A-57B5-40B4-B062-A46B25F63446.jpeg

• Like 1

They say a picture is worth a thousand words.  On the Faq, a picture will get you a thousand words. :D

Words on the Faq are always complimentary or informative.  Words on the Faq are only picky  when it's a "For Sale" ad.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

10 minutes ago, jimk said:

They say a picture is worth a thousand words.  On the Faq, a picture will get you a thousand words. :D

Words on the Faq are always complimentary or informative.  Words on the Faq are only picky  when it's a "For Sale" ad.

Sometimes the words are funny.

😁

• Like 1

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

1 hour ago, Conserv said:

This is a great example of a largely-original ‘02.

I know you’ve heard the original owner’s origin story of the car. There is no downside, however, to collecting additional facts, from additional sources, including the car itself. For instance, I’d recommend you email BMW Group Archives (hdz.info@bmwgroup.com), providing the car’s VIN and requesting their info on the car: manufacturing date, date that title was delivered from BMW AG to the Australian importer, factory color. There is no charge.

Meanwhile, the VIN decoder offered by the BMW 2002 Car Club of Columbia will provide a more general manufacturing date range. 

Thanks for all the info. I’ll keep having a look around the car for more clues. The owners gave me the original order form or whatever this document is actually called with all of the options codified on it. 

the car also has a dealer installed Volkswagen Radio which may have been normal but I find interesting. Also, while having a look through the glove box, I found the wife of the original owners 1977 Drivers License ! 

5BD091A1-1E20-4FA0-BDF7-FF9ABF7CF820.jpeg
596F161D-8CFF-48B6-A1BE-65B5BE01F37E.thumb.jpeg.6b072eb357ade9cefd6377811538f93f.jpeg09010896-496A-4031-A541-B32600F57850.thumb.jpeg.25ac23ad074d2cd93cbed26f248ccb20.jpeg

AA450628-A2DC-4450-A2F1-2CBF6A0F102B.thumb.jpeg.2e7d8cd7cc3443594c3e42400c2d7943.jpegE89F5411-9113-41F7-BB37-9D04BF78CC17.thumb.jpeg.5df20242a485dc33f408b55d37978b53.jpeg

Edited by Collén
  • Like 2