• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early OEM FPS Alloys - What are they made of?

billy g
Go to solution Solved by Conserv,

6 hours ago, Blue 02 said:

Different question on early FPS alloys - am I reading the markings inside the wheel for manufacture/cast date right - this wheel was made in 12/72?

IMG_0257.jpeg

It’s got 11 of 12 potential “month nubs”. So, as @jibarnes said, November 1972.

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Not trying to get this thread as long as the CMR Borrani one, but here are two of my wheels side by side after getting one vapor blasted/cleaned.  The original wheel is as clean as I can get it by hand.  The blasted/cleaned wheel is a very silver/aluminum color.  I need to get a slight bend on the inside lip of the unblasted wheel repaired and will ask the shop to find a match to the color of the original wheel and then decide on what color/process to use on them.  Most likely will go paint and then clear coat as mentioned in an earlier post.

IMG_0277.jpeg

IMG_0276.jpeg

IMG_0273.jpeg

Vapor blasting is so nice, got a bunch of stuff going to the blaster here next week.       If you are going to paint them, I would get the paint shop to mix up some silver ( whatever number you come up with ) mixed as a 2 part in a spray can ( 2 if you are going to do the entire wheel ) and some 2K clear coat.   They will look great and stand up for years

Thanks, Rick

• Like 1