• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ash tray dismantling

PhilC

Can you show the front of the ashtray?  Presume this is one from the rear quarter panel upholster cards, and is from a squarelight, as it doesn't look like the back side of a roundie ashtray.   Those have a chrome-plated metal surround and matching upholstery in the center and are easily dismantled.  

Have you tried letting it soak in really hot water for a few minutes to soften the plastic, then gently prying along that upper ridge?

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Thanks Mike, hot water is a good idea, shame you weren’t a bit quicker 😉 I got it apart. Got a bit more brave with the prying and it came apart.

DC09899E-7D1D-4DF9-B136-3E4BB1C2EE4E.thumb.jpeg.37d3fbf3cde9042a975475ed242d8e53.jpeg

You are right it is a square light ashtray. I wanted to cover the front to match the panel but having done that I realised I didn’t really need to take it apart to do it. 
Out of interest are the earlier ashtrays the same size and fitment as I would like the chrome surround.

Phil

1975 1602 with an M42 engine.

Project thread http://www.02forum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=14853#p107713