• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Case for E10

Mark92131

4 minutes ago, ray_ said:

Correct or not, anyone (correctly or not) referring to their 2002 series on the internet is ignorantly promoting further stupidity.

Thank you, and get off my lawn as I yell at this cloud.

:P

Don’t you have a pool?  

• Haha 1

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

I have always felt that what makes this Forum so special is its embrace and acceptance of differing opinions.  And I have owned 2002s and many other vintage BMWs since 1974 and I do have a good sense of humor but I hope this isn’t changing.  Happy New Year everyone.

• Thanks 1

HBChris

`73 3.0CS Chamonix, `69 2000 NK Atlantik

`70 2800 Polaris, `79 528i Chamonix

I’m struggling to understand why this matters. I’ve been an ‘02 owner from 1973. And I am certain I never heard “E10” in the 1970’s, and probably not in the 1980’s. But now a huge number of current enthusiasts know ‘02’s as E10’s. So what?

Owning an ‘02 in 1973, every BMW owner flashed his/her headlights at you. Charming, and I miss it. But times change. 

I choose to dislike BMW drivers who drive recklessly, carelessly, and rudely, not those who simply refer to my ‘02 as an E10…

My view.

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

33 minutes ago, Conserv said:

I’m struggling to understand why this matters. I’ve been an ‘02 owner from 1973. And I am certain I never heard “E10” in the 1970’s, and probably not in the 1980’s. But now a huge number of current enthusiasts know ‘02’s as E10’s. So what?

My view.

Regards,

Steve

So, Steven, you condone spreading misinformation about 2002's? Because that's what happens when people see others incorrectly referring to '02's as E10's. They blindly ape the inaccuracy. 

:)

• Haha 1

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

57 minutes ago, Conserv said:

Owning an ‘02 in 1973, every BMW owner flashed his/her headlights at you. Charming, and I miss it. But times change. 

Kinda like how they used to be referred to as "Bimmer" and not "Beamer" as if someone just heard it wrong and the next person to hear it never thought it odd. 

OR

People living on the streets were called carpet baggers, now it's unhoused.  And if those (they, them, thar) same unhoused are unhinged, it's referred to as mentally challenged.   

We are ALL doomed. 

But what do I know

The development codes (114, E6, E10) are still so vague, real afficionados are talking Model Codes:

I drive a 2291 and a couple of 2582s 🙂

• Haha 1

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise

To expand on our favorite hack mechanic's post:

Bimmer = BMW automobile (4 wheels, including 3 wheel Isettas for the UK market.

Beamer = BMW motorcycle

This was drilled into my 24 year old head when I bought my first Bimmer in 1969, and expounded upon many times in the BMWnospaceCCA Roundel.  Oddly I don't remember any Roundels from the 70s or even 80s  expounding on the proper model ID for a 2002.  It was just "a 2002."

And yeah, Steve, I miss headlight flashing too.  The only time I get to do that is during a vintage BMW gathering like Vintage or Mid America...Of course in 1969 there were only a few thousand BMW on America's roads, so seeing another was pretty uncommon.  Now and again I get a return flash from an E21 or E30, but nothing newer.

mike

PS.  Bottom line:  it's up to you what you call your '02.  Technically it looks like it's a Type 114, but call it what makes you happy.

• Thanks 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

23 minutes ago, Conserv said:

Fine. Do that. And what are they worth now? 😉😁

Who cares? I'm not selling!

:P

You speculator!

:D

• Haha 1

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

E10 promotes corrosion in your fuel system- mostly because it attracts water.

It also gums things up when it evaporates (as it will in shitty old cars without evap systems)

because it has lots of crap in it to get water and oil to mix.

There.  That's what E10 is.  My 2002 is EIP 100, because it says so right on the side of it.

neener neener.

t

dgas

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I always lead with the 2000 cc engine / 2 door car to explain the 2002, no other letters or numbers are needed for me under my seats it said they were for a 114, my other car is very proudly an E9 so E10 seems right to…I don’t really care,  it will alway be a 2002 to me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don’t let the fear of what could happen

make nothing happen…