• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002 Base Engine Vs 2002 Tii Engine

dvella98

Essential is too strong... Any '02 block can be modified to suit injection. I was talking only about originalitism and that the tii block can be used without modification to build a turbo tribute. I am not talking about pistons, the tii piston and compression ratio make it a poor choice for boosting.

But at another level the carb block will EFI fine and none of the tii paraphernalia is required...the lower compression of the orig carb model pistons might make a swap of manifolding enough to make a good turbo motor.

37 minutes ago, Conserv said:

why he believes a tii block is essential.

Edited by dlacey
  • Like 2

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise

10 minutes ago, dlacey said:

Essential is too strong... Any '02 block can be modified to suit injection. I was talking only about originalitism and that the tii block can be used without modification to build a turbo tribute. I am not talking about pistons, the tii piston and compression ratio make ita poor choice for boosting.

But at another level the carb block will EFI fine and none of the tii paraphernalia is required...the lower compression of the orig carb model pistons might make a swap of manifolding enough to make a good turbo motor.

+1

We’re on the same page, Dave! I just wanted to make certain there wasn’t some additional features to a turbo engine that made a tii block “extra special”.

Given the rarity and cost, however, of original turbo units, exhaust manifolds, and other special features of the factory turbo, a picture-perfect clone would be extraordinarily expensive to build — a few forum members have experienced that pain. And considerably less expensive components using modern technology can produce substantially more power, and less lag, than original components.

Best regards,

Steve

• Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

1 minute ago, Conserv said:

+1

We’re on the same page, Dave! I just wanted to make certain there wasn’t some additional features to a turbo engine that made a tii block “extra special”.

Given the rarity and cost, however, of original turbo units, exhaust manifolds, and other special features of the factory turbo, a picture-perfect clone would be extraordinarily expensive to build — a few forum members have felt that pain. And considerably less expensive components using modern technology can produce substantially more power, and less lag, than original components.

Best regards,

Steve

Good point, I will not be chasing originality to that extreme. My intentions are to get a restomod tribute. The idea is that it looks the par, so no engine swaps etc. However I will most likely chase new technology for instance when it comes to the turbo

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dlacey said:

the tii piston and compression ratio make it a poor choice for boosting.

If you are sticking with the old technology limitations of the distributor for timing.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

17 minutes ago, dvella98 said:

On the contrary I intend to use mixrosquirt to control everything. 

And if that doesn't do auto tuning, it's a challenge.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

8 hours ago, Conserv said:

I just wanted to make certain there wasn’t some additional features to a turbo engine that made a tii block “extra special”.

By "extra special", do you mean something like this... 😉

bmwf11.jpg
WWW.ENGINELABS.COM

There's an old legend about BMW Formula 1 engineers urinating on cylinder blocks to help "season" the iron casting before race prepping. The survived 1,500 horsepower, so did the trick work? Check out the story!

Mark92131

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)