• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Member - 1972 BMW 2002

JJ Drive on

The sensors for EFI aren't that big of a deal to install. The trigger wheel and crank sensor is the biggie. I'm using an Electromotive trigger wheel on a stock pulley. The sensor and bracket are straightforward. MAP, IAT, coolant, are all easy enough to add. TPS is part of your ITBs if you go Jenvey (can't speak to other brands).

When I got my project looking for a home, it came with all the EFI bits (not the ITBs ... I got them later). So I ran with the conversion. There were times I wished I had just gotten a stockish engine running so I could have driven sooner and wrenched less. But I love what I've got now.

Thank you Mark 92131 and the Hack Mechanic.  I will buy the book.   Both the upper and lower gasket are leaking.  After listening to everyone ideas,  it does make sense to get the engine running over the next 4 - 5 months of winter in Michigan.  The interior is in great shape and the brakes were inspected and updated 4 years ago.   From a quick inspection, the shocks and springs need to be replaced.

• Like 1

Mmmm having looked at the pic which show a lovely car, I’d just enjoy it, and sort a few items without going too far,  by that I mean Brakes! Make sure they work well, standard brakes are good, refresh the suspension rubber components, makes a huge difference!! new shocks perhaps bilsteins front and rear, maybe springs but not too wild eibachs or similar, a nice set of marine blue (at least I think that’s the colour) Recaros from Ardvark if he has any, and a new salt and pepper carpet if yours isn’t good enough to clean, engine, yeah maybe a Weber… but the Solex’s  I’ve had have been fine, but that was when they were newer.

Like Rob says it would give you a couple of years of enjoying these great little cars and really let’s you settle into what you want out of the car, good luck hope you have fun… mines Chamonix also… great colour.

btw another good one from Rob, he really ought to consider writing😜

“a little sprinkling of rolling restoration dust”

Love it!

Edited by SydneyTii

If I were you I'd drive that on.

I started by wanting  a new headliner (well I 100% needed one), that leads to windows out.

Finding rust, finding more rust so here I am 2 years later still doing the bodywork with a completely stripped out car 😂.