• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear Hinged Hood

PhilC

I’m sure this will bring a lot of criticism but one of the things that really winds me up about my 02 is the fact that the bonnet opens forwards. I find it very restrictive and awkward when working on a lot of the engine, especially in the garage (which is most of the time in the UK 😁). So my question is, has this been done, is there a conversion kit, do you think it’s possible?

Phil

1975 1602 with an M42 engine.

Project thread http://www.02forum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=14853#p107713

I took all the hinge parts off and used pins-

now, the hood comes all the way off and you just

lift it out of the way.

The cowl was annoying, too, so it got the chop.

t

bkuz racekar.

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

10 minutes ago, TobyB said:

I took all the hinge parts off and used pins-

now, the hood comes all the way off and you just

lift it out of the way.

The cowl was annoying, too, so it got the chop.

t

bkuz racekar.

I think that might be a bit extreme 🙂 and a bit of a nuisance when you just want to check the oil 😉

Phil

1975 1602 with an M42 engine.

Project thread http://www.02forum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=14853#p107713

The hood on Mercedes opens from the front and has two positions: Position 1 opens about 45 degrees for checking oil and other fluids.

Position 2 puts the hood straight up (90 degrees) for easy access to the full engine bay.

This would require some significant design and fabrication skills to put these hinges and struts on a 2002.

You would be adding many additional "pounds" (British pounds $$) to your car!

2 hours ago, John76 said:

The hood on Mercedes opens from the front and has two positions: Position 1 opens about 45 degrees for checking oil and other fluids.

Position 2 puts the hood straight up (90 degrees) for easy access to the full engine bay.

This would require some significant design and fabrication skills to put these hinges and struts on a 2002.

You would be adding many additional "pounds" (British pounds $$) to your car!

No no, I believe position 1 is for banging your head into it.

That's the only use I have found for it.

:P

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Everything is possible with enough welding, but do keep in-mind that this hinging and latching mechanism is also designed to crumple somewhat gracefully during a head-on with a TwoTonTesla, to prevent the munich guillotine.

• Like 2

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise

While it may be feasible with extensive mods I seriously doubt it’s feasible from a practical stand point and would change the cars structural integrity in ways I can only guess.

Munich guillotine indeed…. Bad idea

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

I knew an outside of the box thinking fellow but haven't met him in ten, fifteen years. His matt black, chop topped, roll caged and flared -02 had forward opening hood. So you wouldn't be the first one but I don't remember seeing any pictures of that car so you could say you are 😉, plus I don't know if that car exists today.

Edit. Found one picture that doesn't proof the hood consept. And remembered that among other customizations it was m20 powered.

post-90-13667560708125_thumb.jpg?key=519

Edited by Tommy

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!