• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NEW TO FORUM BUT NOT 02'S

Ed Jenkins

k, I just joined after many years reading the forums as different topics came to mind. My last 2002 was 45 years ago. I have owned more current models over the years until I moved to an island in Washington. Being rural I needed a truck more than my 7. BMW’s have been a huge part of my life since 1967. I bought one of the first 67’s sold by Vasek Polak. I fell in love with it and the feeling never stopped. I started adding suspension stuff as I drove over a windy canyon every day. Being Southern California I needed AC. Unfortunately my 1600 was 6v??? I installed my Clardy AC kit using a total loss system of a 12 volt battery in the trunk and a separate wiring harness. Yes, yes I hear all the voices shouting alarm but it worked great and I was cool all day. I had to charge it every night bit it worked until a driver tore off most of the front end. New 1970 2002 and I was off again. I got into racing solo and autocross so side draft Webers, hot cam, headers etc and then flares and so on. Carl Fredricks at Hyde Park Motors was almost a daily stop. I got into racing parts selling spoilers, flares and fiberglass body parts. I designed and sold through Autoweek and VDO a three gauge holder on the dash. It was the same one that Ireland Engineering sells now, must have found one of mine and copied it. I was technical chairman for the very young BMW club in LA. 

Bottom line in 1978 I never thought I would ever own another 2002. I sold so many rare parts that are worth a fortune now, oh well. In any case as my home building projects started getting completed I thought more and more about a 2002. I wanted a daily driver for the island so I found one on Craigs List in 2015. Fair price, tons of rust but I drove it home and everything worked except for the trans output bearing. It has taken me 7 years to actually finish the home stuff so I am ready to tackle my rusty 2002. Being Washington the rain limits outside work to three months, maybe. I just finished a dedicated shop for the restoration. I got a full set of BMW Factory tools from a friend who was out of the business so that will help. I have MIG, TIG welding equipment as well as leading tools. Over the last six months I have accumulated most of the replacement parts, rubber gaskets, trim, etc. I am looking for new seats, I had Scheel seats in my old 2002, carpet and headliner. I am sure I can get some great advice here as to sources and make. All this has lead to my joining the FAQ group so my current question is there are tons of sources for replacement floor pans. What is the best source for these and what gauge should the steel sheet for miscellaneous body sections be? Any advice for this part of the rust remediation. Thanks in advance for any and all help.       

• Like 8

Welcome Ed,  

not sure where you are located but well know 2002er Paul Huber lives on Orcas Island in the eastsound area…

start with walloth and nesch for most body / parts in general…Barney

Edited by BarneyT

Don’t let the fear of what could happen

make nothing happen…

Welcome @Ed Jenkins!

Please sign up to the PNW club on this site and join us locals for our annual 020202 show and swap on Feb 4th in West Seattle. Event link below. Post anything you're looking for on the PNW discussion page and maybe someone has got what you need and can bring it to the show. 

Also reach out to @Stu to get added o to our PNW email list. 

Welcome back to 02ing. 

https://www.bmw2002faq.com/events/event/446-21st-annual-020202-show-swap/

James

• Like 2

1987 Porsche 944 Turbo (sold)
1973 Mintgrun 2002 "Kermit" (sold)

1973 Inka 2002 "Ernie"

1986 VW Vanagon Syncro Weekender "Otto Van Gonzo"

Welcome, 

Has many parts including floor pans. 

On 1/22/2023 at 12:18 PM, Ed Jenkins said:

Being Washington the rain limits outside work to three months, maybe. I just finished a dedicated shop for the restoration.    

Welcome!  The PNW group is great and as James pointed out, we have the meet up coming up on February 4th in Seattle.  

Hello Ed

i really enjoyed your introductory post relating your 02 memories from the early days and in particular the first stop for performance parts in those years: Hyde Park. 

I bought quite a few items from Hyde Park in 1970 and 71 for use on my 69 ch nbr 1667929.

Among those items was a three gauge dash pod designed specifically for the ribbed dash of the 02 and rendered in a complementary pebble grain surface finish.

My 69 car is long gone after 200,000 miles of road use, winter trips to Stowe, summer time autocrosses and memorable track days at Bridgehampton, Thompson, Bryar and Limerock. That great car was parted out and is long gone but I have kept that old gauge pod safe in the 02 parts trove for over 50 years now.317F0450-5F1E-4A08-9996-89B02798E6E7.thumb.jpeg.49e6bc7d7731bb81a54e683977fd639c.jpegI looked around for the pod down in the basement just now and dug out my example of your classic 02 accessory.

Ed, this 53 year old pod still looks brand new. 
Here it is!4227DFF4-BD0C-4AB2-BAA9-218C66C27572.thumb.jpeg.26c227d1f55417cf8d4d94a98535c0e9.jpeg

• Like 1