• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

4 SPEED TO FIVE

vroom

Re my 1976 2002, it's now running/starting real good, everything works (almost), and I've even insured it for frequent transportation.  Kick-in-the-butt to drive, but when I find myself on roads I must share with A to B idiots, I've decided it would be nice to have another gear.  The M10 performs valiantly, but I hate holding it at 4 er 4.5K for long periods, and as you know, that's not even enough to stay outta the way of the new, shiny computers with wheels, piloted mindlessly.  I know this request gets tiresome, but I need preliminary advice/cautions regarding the conversion.  I assume I'm looking for a Getrag 245/265, etc. (something that bolts-up to the M10)?  I've heard there are driveline alterations (shortening)?  Think I'll be working with a German (factory-trained?) mechanic who recently moved here to the sticks, but I want to be involved, especially collecting the necessary hardware.  Thanks, Rick in Pinedale, AZ     

The Getrag 245 is the common conversion, but known good 245s are becoming really hard to find and preciously expensive. Also, several of the key 245 parts are NLA, so if your trans wears out one of those parts (and these transmissions are generally 40+ years old), you're in dire straits. Conkitchen has a 245 for sale here on the forum. 

The Getrag 240 is another option. These are usually a bit less expensive, but also quite scarce. Most 240s lack the speedometer output, so you'd need to rig up a GPS speedo (readily available online) or install a Hall effect sensor on the trans and get fancy. Alternatively, the 240 that came from the factory in 1983 E21s has a speedo output. If you could find one of them, you'd be in good shape.

The Getrag 265 can be installed in a 2002, but it will require serious modifications to the transmission tunnel and firewall due to the larger size of the 265 bellhousing. A 265 is a bit of overkill for a 2002 unless you're putting down some serious HP and/or hotswapping it at the track as might be done in an endurance racer.

Good luck! 

• Like 3

williamggruff

'76 2002 "Verona" / '12 Fiat 500 Sport "Latte" / '21 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road Prem “The Truck”

Conkitchen - thanks for your reply.  I checked "parts for sale" here, ebay, google, etc., then realized I had no idea what I was looking for.  First step in self reliance is self education (both still allowed in Arizona), thus my entry in "looking for parts," hoping to find technical advice and possibly what I need.  I saw your entry for trans/diff.  With the prices I'm encountering, I can't afford trial-and-error.  Williamggruff - thanks so much for your patient and knowledgeable advice!  VERY helpful!  Called the mechanic I mentioned, discussed your suggestions, and he's willing to help.  Said he preferred "original" equipment, but another alternative might be Tremex, a popular modern manufacturer of conversion transmissions.  For now, I'll be following offers from sellers of 245s who responded to our conversation.  EXACTLY what I needed.  Thanks again.    

• Like 1

WOW!!  This detailed, step-by-step is a far cry from "R&R transmission."  Now I view the project with additional trepidation beyond extreme cost and rare parts availability.  If and when we dig in to my bimmer's drivetrain, I'm SURE the particulars you provided will prove indispensable/invaluable.  I'm much obliged for your stepping-up to provide important information.  I'm sure we'll need all the help we can get!