• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Patina or paint?

Chippy

You guys make some great points!

I like the patina look too, but, like was said earlier by Tech71, I feel like this '02 is kinda beyond patina. And, the rust is nearly the same color as the paint, so you don't even get a neat contrast like CoastalCrush... Just looks like a pile of junk.

Kinda leaning toward a Maaco or DIY roll it on paint job of some sort... Something that looks better, and keeps the poor thing from rotting away, but not too nice that I have to keep it inside or worry about scratches. 

I really like pic attached. 

ETA: Research indicates it is a wrap on primer. I didn't even think about that... hmm

3.2.thumb.png.005c6dff6306e3076bc3cdedcc696666.png

Edited by Chippy
  • Like 1

Follow your heart. If you want it shiny and nice, then follow that path. If you want to preserve the patina for as long as you can,  I would give it a good deep scrubbing with Bon Ami or Comet. Then I’d mask what is necessary, and spray it with a matte clear.

• Like 1

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

Personally, I prefer paint, but I also prefer patina over a cheap paint job.

I don't agree with your statement about your car looking like junk, there are ways to make a rusty car look like a proper resto-mod or rat rod and yours doesn't look bad at all with the brown on brown.

Get some nice wheels for it, beef up the suspension, dial in the motor, and you're good to go.

963c30d89853847dfa7d4331c946a30b.jpg

• Like 3

'72 Metallic Malaga 2002 with a '73 M10 | Dual Weber DCOE 40s | E21 5spd and LSD | Pertronix II

I also live in Colorado, and I'm in the Patina camp! SHINY PAINT CAUSES STRESS!  I have the sticker to prove it!

I don't worry about people scratching it at shows when looking in, getting dinged in a parking lot and it allows to me be less worried when I take it out. 

PLUS! my touch up paint.....is nail polish...and it works great since the paint isn't great anyway. 

image.thumb.jpeg.891630d0914394a57b121479242515fb.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.532602edab251da6cd6164f8621f26da.jpeg

Edited by DM46
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

SHINY PAINT CAUSES STRESS! 

.... At least that's what I tell myself to avoid painting a car. 

As a few have said, you can't leave your patina in a harsh climate...it's amazing how slowly rust progresses in a dry climate, but also vice versa. If you don't want to paint, you could look at something that would provoke a reaction with the paint / rust and then clearcote on the cheap to preserve the effect for a few years...

1971 2002ti, 1985 E30 320i, 1960 Land Rover 109 Ser 2, 1963 Land Rover 88 Ser 2a, 1980 Land Rover Ser 3 Lightweight 

Patina!

Till I find the time to paint.   I don't mind driving around something with a little age on it as long as the rust is abated.

Currently my 02 is 3rd in line. It's gonna be the 2nd coat Earl Shibe white with some taiga showing through for a bit longer. 

• Like 1

I like patina, but only on original paint. My opinion for what it’s worth is yours is too far gone. Coastal Crush is a good example of what I think looks good. My drivers door has a lot of dents and chips. I often think of fixing it since it’s the worst part of my car, but then i think it’s still one of the few places on my car with original paint. I think of the previous owner driving around Europe with that door and original paint and I pause to appreciate it. For now anyway. 

897604EE-3B8C-48D0-BE3E-921E69864BEA.jpeg

Edited by 72pdx02

As long as it's surface rust, you're fine. Just realize that, all these guys spraying clear over rust, is slowing it down, but not stopping it. Once it gets real pitting/texture,  you're impacting integrity. You could always do the worst panel(s) and leave the rest original.