• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear Parcel Shelf

Scott W. Long

Dear All:

I have read several responses to the rear parcel shelf question.  

Here is what I understand:

*The metal piece is a welded part of the car body
*The removable piece is fiberboard 

*The gas vent reservoir in the trunk keeps from placing speakers at the ends of the shelf.  
My question: How do I remove and replace the fiberboard section and what material should I use (wood / aluminum) to replace this section?

Scott

After you remove the seat back it just slips out. Any material would work for a replacement although metal may need some insulation ( think foam tape) to prevent buzzing/rattles. 

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

I'm a big fan of cardboard, just ask Ray. 

But really pick up a sheet of Masonite for $16 at home depot and use the old article as a template.  Or make a new template out of, guess what? cardboard.  

Easy peasy! 

Second the idea of a thin foam underlayment and then use a 1/3 of yard of vinyl from a fabric store.  1/4" staples and glue is all you need to secure it all down to the substrate.  

Just look at my tag line.

Edited by conkitchen
  • Like 1

But what do I know

The vinyl covered piece comes right out. Underneath is sheet metal. Mine was poorly perforated from some knucklehead's poor attempt to provide room for parcel shelf speakers. Since there were already holes, I traced out my new speakers and used a jig saw to cut the metal so that it would fit my new speakers better. I then mounted my speakers to the metal shelf. 

Next came some sound deadening with speaker holes cut out and then the old parcel shelf with new vinyl with perforated holes for the speakers that my upholsterer completed. It's has a nice finished look.

20160618_152515.jpeg

Edited by NYNick
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

The parcel shelf was originally held in place by two or three plastic clips that fit into holes in the sheet metal - similar to the ones that hold the door panels on, with an "arrow head." They become very brittle over the decades.  You could just set it in place and it would stay there.

• Like 1

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

4 hours ago, NYNick said:

The vinyl covered piece comes right out. Underneath is sheet metal. Mine was poorly perforated from some knucklehead's poor attempt to provide room for parcel shelf speakers. Since there were already holes, I traced out my new speakers and used a jig saw to cut the metal so that it would fit my new speakers better. I then mounted my speakers to the metal shelf. 

Next came some sound deadening with speaker holes cut out and then the old parcel shelf with new vinyl with perforated holes for the speakers that my upholsterer completed. It's has a nice finished look.

20160618_152515.jpeg

Don’t mean to be critical, but it don’t look so finished.  :)

2 hours ago, John_in_VA said:

The parcel shelf was originally held in place by two or three plastic clips that fit into holes in the sheet metal

Just push these upwards from inside the trunk.

No need to remove the rear seat back.

Easy peasy!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, jimk said:

Must be a model year thing because my 8-71 car has no clips to hold the shelf cover.

Maybe started with the square tails. Clamp for shelf lining 51 46 1 807 883  (3 req'd)

• Like 2

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Be sure an seal those speaker holes (even if you have speakers in 'em) from the trunk side.  Otherwise you're bound to have gas fumes in the passenger compartment--eventually.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

1 hour ago, jgerock said:

My 69 has (3) yellow clips to secure the fiberboard parcel tray.

Hmmm. My parts book dated 10/71 shows the shelf, but no clips; my other one, updated to '75, shows them.

The '75 book shows them (page 51/67) and noted as fitting all models (even the ti) except Cabriolet & Touring

Edited by 02Les

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17