• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Replacement Muffler

simonjb

That looks like aftermarket Borla or Ansa. I’m assuming he’s looking for OEM Eberspacher? Stephen should be able to see current inventory in the US if not worldwide. Perhaps there is something out there hopefully…

'74 Sahara/Beige 2002 HS car, long, long ago...

'73 Polaris/Navy 2002 tii lost to Canada

'73 Malaga/Saddle 2002 current project

'73 Taiga/Black 2002 tii in my dreams

18 minutes ago, simonjb said:

Yes - looking for BMW OEM

Keep in mind that, of course, BMW didn't make their own mufflers--like many other proprietary parts, they bought 'em (made to their specs) from outside suppliers, so if you have your heart set on an OEM muffler, as has been pointed out, an Eberspacher, regardless of supplier will be the one.  And BTW the original mufflers that were made in two halves and welded together (like an 02 gas tank) didn't last very long.  They rusted out along the lower seam within a few years when used in a rainy or salt-laden climate.

On the other hand, the Midas (don't laugh!) muffler has been on my '73 since around 1986 or so, and the paint hasn't even all burned off it yet.  So thus far I've been denied the opportunity to visit a local Midas shop and say, "...howdy, boys..."

mike

• Like 4

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

1 hour ago, 1936spyder said:

That looks like aftermarket Borla or Ansa. I’m assuming he’s looking for OEM Eberspacher?

Blunttech puts "BMW" on the listings for genuine BMW parts, so I assume that's the most recent BMW offering.  I think I recall reading that Eberspacher no longer supplies them.  (IIRC, Borla does).  So, if the OP is looking for the current BMW muffler, that's probably it.  If they're looking for Eberspacher, that's probably not what it is.

• Like 1

The Eberspacher tii ones have an oval canister and are beefy and last a really long time.  Different than the standard round canister side exit type.  Blunt will know what's currently available if you want to go the stock route.

Edited by JohnS

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

4 hours ago, stephers said:

Check out Rock auto as well       Got one from there  last year     

Thanks, Rick

Well would ya look at that. Looks like you can get a full exhaust including downpipe for $230. I didn't think to look at RockAuto. Thank ya kindly. 

WWW.ROCKAUTO.COM

RockAuto ships auto parts and body parts from over 300 manufacturers to customers' doors worldwide, all at warehouse prices. Easy to use parts catalog.

Looks like you can even get them at Autozone (this is for a '76). https://www.autozone.com/emission-control-and-exhaust/muffler/p/ansa-muffler-bw0247/1042471_0_0

Edited by popovm

Yeah, those are Anza mufflers, not original BMW.

They work in a pinch but I dont care at all for the ones I installed on my 76.

Too "rappy" like a 2 stroke, far from "throaty"

You get what you pay for with them.

I cant wait to replace at least the rear muffler with OE.

I just couldn't imagine installing Anza on any self respecting Tii😉

Might be time to check out the a BMW dealer, these guys do pretty good with online sales.

PARTS.BMWNORTHWEST.COM

Genuine BMW Part # 18121108739 (18-12-1-108-739) - Rear muffler. TII. Fits 2002tii. Ships from BMW Northwest, Tacoma WA

Edited by tech71

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

Like Editor Mike said, Midas is an option.

Even the local Goofys Muffler shop probably has a suitable muffler and can fab/ bend up up a replacement.

Pelican is the worst "In stock! Oh, sorry"

Edited by tech71

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris