• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone install the MVP/IE Spare Tire Wheel Well?

bmw_e30

@JohnP_02 both the thread pitch and diameter are different on the MVP part. They use a piece of threaded rod ( I think it’s 10mm) that screws into a welded-on nut in the tie down. The original is a stud spot welded into the tie down which is M12 x 1.5, the same as the lug nuts. This is the only issue with the MVP part. 

Well, I just messaged the guy at the bodyshop about this issue asking if they could swap out the new with the old tie down. With all due respect, and I think MVP is great, but it’s a little annoying that this was not corrected before mass production or at the very least make the customers aware of the issue. 

• Like 2

1969 2002 Granada, 2nd owner

1976 2002 Fjordblau (sold)

A few too many steering wheels

On 2/22/2023 at 1:24 AM, jmbeatt2 said:

@mgben It is butt welded in with the TIG machine. Fortunately this car was getting a new tail panel so I was able to get better access to the spare tire well. 63C465C2-5F0D-499D-B819-1838522B1848.thumb.jpeg.08ca5f7291b01dc18dfb132996efa2ff.jpeg

I can imagine that it was tricky to do with the tig. 

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

I’m having a hard time understanding the importance of the hold-down bolt of the replacement panel matching between the original well.  

I know I’m missing something since you guys are going through the effort of welding the original one back on, which seems like a lot of effort for something that will never be noticed unless you’re all building concours cars.

7 hours ago, HobieDog said:

I’m having a hard time understanding the importance of the hold-down bolt of the replacement panel matching between the original well.  

I know I’m missing something since you guys are going through the effort of welding the original one back on, which seems like a lot of effort for something that will never be noticed unless you’re all building concours cars.

It's the concours in your garage - each time opening the trunk you would know there's the wrong pitch bolt under the plywood panels. You can't live with that long term. Better fix it before paint.  👍

Also, the original hold down bracket wouldn't work too well (I'm afraid the bolt was small as M8 in mine), you would need to put extra spacer there... what a mess would that be...

Edited by Tommy
  • Like 1

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

correct me if i'm wrong but my body shop would only paint the top half of the new wheel well and leave the bottom half unpainted? or would they paint the whole thing?

18' Racing Yellow 911 GT3
71' Agave Green 2002
10' Silver Landcruiser 200 series
10' White Landcruiser Prado 150 series

On 2/28/2023 at 12:20 AM, jmbeatt2 said:

@JohnP_02 both the thread pitch and diameter are different on the MVP part. They use a piece of threaded rod ( I think it’s 10mm) that screws into a welded-on nut in the tie down. The original is a stud spot welded into the tie down which is M12 x 1.5, the same as the lug nuts. This is the only issue with the MVP part. 

Thanks for the heads up! Rather than swapping the hold down stanchion & stud I welded a lug nut on to the MVP nut so I could use the lug wrench. 

Regards

Dono

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

update

finally got my car back from my bodyshop looks good and he said it was easy and fit right

im going to weld a factory lug nut like  @Daily02

thumbnail_IMG_7389.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_7390.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_7391.jpg

• Like 3

18' Racing Yellow 911 GT3
71' Agave Green 2002
10' Silver Landcruiser 200 series
10' White Landcruiser Prado 150 series