• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine lift process step

Joesprocket
Go to solution Solved by Einspritz,

Saweeet, that's a job getting those things out  Now on to the hard part, the drive shaft must be separated to install a new csb and to accomplish that the big nut (15/16 12 point almost 24 mm but no cigar) must be removed.  It didnt take long for me to discover the factory must have used some type of thread locker on the nut/thread and heat is the best way to release it.  if the u joints are useable youll want to protect the cup rubbers by wrapping in heavy duty aluminum foil before using the heat wrench.  before you separate the individual shafts mark them so they go back together in the same way they came apart.  I prefer free all as a penetrant but any good penetrant should get to the csb bearing so it can be knocked off with a hammer and punch.   also use an extreme pressure grease on the splines before putting them back together.  Ive seen wurth sig3000 referenced although there may be other good ep greases out there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gale H.

71 2002 daily driver

70 2002 malaga (pc)

83 320i (pc)