• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help needed with reversing hood opening direction.

ELIGILL1
Go to solution Solved by tech71,

Im restoring a ‘68 2002 and I’ve gone with the m20 swap. I’ve used a radiator that ended up being a bit to big ( it’ll still work with some modification). I need to reverse the direction that the hood opens. I had to remove the front hood supports to make room. I’ve seen pics of it being done. But I need more direction. Here are some pics of my progress. The front brace is titanium. 

A4951CB7-3719-47B2-A0D6-6CC9BC9B79D4.jpeg

539F7209-0345-4A82-AD38-B2E70AFBA67A.jpeg

2FC829CD-4956-4658-9EDB-3BF0614D840A.jpeg

CF6CD7C7-60AD-4FE4-885E-10E42CD3AA82.jpeg

8C3F8BB3-5423-469D-9C3B-C5EDB87A6E3C.jpeg

• Like 1

Just at a glance IMO theres nothing back there thats stiff enough to support hinges other than move the fuse box and fabing some hinges to the fender tops but it would be a challange to keep them low enough to fit under the hood.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

As per the link to my thread above this is something I would love to do, the front opening hood is so restrictive to working on the engine IMO. If you come up with a solution I shall be stealing your ideas 😉

Great fab work 👍

Edited by PhilC

Phil

1975 1602 with an M42 engine.

Project thread http://www.02forum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=14853#p107713

• Solution
42 minutes ago, Son of Marty said:

Just at a glance IMO theres nothing back there thats stiff enough to support hinges other than move the fuse box and fabing some hinges to the fender tops but it would be a challange to keep them low enough to fit under the hood.

Yes, difficult if not impossible.

OP if a mod is absolutely required, consider  making the hood removable/retained with  pins. A lightweight fiberglass hood makes sense here .

Edited by tech71
  • Like 5

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

Yeah I think the real problem is you would have to do most of the fab work before you could even try it out, principal dosn't always equal funtion.

• Like 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

52 minutes ago, ELIGILL1 said:

If I went that way, the hood will still hit the top of the radiator. I thought about going that way earlier. I don’t think it’ll work. 

Then chop the bottom of the radiator.  I'm with Mike, you could make it work this way.  Much simpler than the other option, but not as easy as just pinning it.  

In fact, I'm not entirely sure why you had to remove the uprights to begin with.  You can lean the radiator up against them.

IMG_7884

Love the project, you have a blog yet?

3 minutes ago, ELIGILL1 said:

Yeah it’s been a whole learning thing. I’m using an e30 mishimoto radiator. I figured since it works for the engine I should try to make it work. 

You're not wrong, it's a good idea.  The radiator I show in the picture is also from the E30/E36.  However, you can take the bottom part off with a bandsaw and weld new plates on the bottom, this shortens the radiator enough for better clearance.  If you look closely the tops of the frame rails are notched as well.

haha, yeeeahh I don't think they'd want to warranty it ... but you've already come this far...

Think there are a couple chopping pictures from a couple years back on my blog.... hopefully they serve as a better visual if you want to consider it.

https://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/topic/116731-m20-triple-weber-build-x2/page/8/

Also see you're in Boise.  Small world (graduated from Timberline), want to drive my 02 up your way in the next couple years.  Maybe meet up with @M3This?

• Like 1