• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Checking out a Seller

bavariaboy

I am looking at a car on a site named GritCar. A broker based in Ohio. They are prompt and professional, say they have sold hundreds of cars in various transactions. But I can't seem to find anything on the good old WWW about them except one review will reveals little. Has anyone heard of them, dealt with them(I doubt it) or know anything about them?

The price includes taxes and fees and free shipping. And a seven day money back guarantee if you return the car within seven days of the delivery date to you. It is unclear if the buyer has to have the return in place within seven days or simply a reservation to return. 

The car is in CA, I am in PA. Expensive to ship here. Help.

Danger Will Robinson....the address I found for them is a warehouse in Ohio with no sign on it for GritCars. Have them take a picture of the car with todays newspaper on the front windshield. All the cars I clicked on had different license plates also. Seems shady to me but I could be wrong.

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

NYNick, the photos were lifted directly from a BaT ad. The copy picks up the usual BaT boilerplate like, "the seller states."

I believe the city is Columbus.

When I asked about a PPI they said fine, arranged a date, with the seller(they are a broker) and were ready to go.

Mixed signals? I am not sure. But the Ohio signless warehouse is suspicious.

Steve

So, what? They find sellers around the country and put you in touch with them? They never even see the cars they are selling?

Sounds like a keyboarders dream. Some guy in his house putting buyers and sellers together. I wonder how he gets paid? I'd still want that picture.

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

14 minutes ago, NYNick said:

So, what? They find sellers around the country and put you in touch with them? They never even see the cars they are selling?

Then what's the warehouse for?

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

1 hour ago, bavariaboy said:

I am looking at a car on a site named GritCar. A broker based in Ohio. They are prompt and professional, say they have sold hundreds of cars in various transactions. But I can't seem to find anything on the good old WWW about them except one review will reveals little. Has anyone heard of them, dealt with them(I doubt it) or know anything about them?

The price includes taxes and fees and free shipping. And a seven day money back guarantee if you return the car within seven days of the delivery date to you. It is unclear if the buyer has to have the return in place within seven days or simply a reservation to return. 

The car is in CA, I am in PA. Expensive to ship here. Help.

Cant find the site.  I can see to who the domain is registered.   Post the link. 

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

Yup, most inventory scraped from BaT, and the prices set conveniently a couple thousand below what they sold for.

There's an "Add Listing" button, but then nowhere to actually register or make an account, only a "login" page.

Source code points to it being created with Elementor, which is a Wordpress site builder, which anyone can throw together. Generic stock photography throughout the site, and as someone else mentioned, pics scraped from past auctions.

Beware.

There was one just like this in Michigan about a year ago. They had a professional looking website. They claimed to be a broker for a car someone else has in another location. In that case I tracked down the actual (craigslist) seller and they were pissed. I think their scam was to ask a higher price and the negotiate with seller and buyer.  The car was a great deal, close to my house and the seller seemed like a good guy, but by the time I reached him he already had a deal.image.thumb.jpeg.b4e763aba0e291baf71a9fd556eb25a0.jpeg

Edited by JQ02

1976 2002 - Segundo

1936 Ford pickup hotrod, 2010 Honda Ridgeline

Segundo blog

Paoli (PA) Car Show - Oct 5, 2024

The 6 or 7 2002s I checked from GritCars we’re all sold or ended auctions on BaT. I’m sure you can find the car you’re looking at in its original posting and get in touch with the seller directly, if it’s even for sale anymore.  The internet is too small for this type of nonsense.

If they were doing a good job at scamming, they’d at least take down the sold cars. This whole scheme is lazy as hell.