• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Head Gasket Problems

When the head was shaved, was the front timing cover installed on it?  I believe it needs to be attached so as to have it shaved the same amount.  Otherwise, you could have a 'step' at the front that keeps the front of the head from seating/sealing.

S/N 2579886 Inka (Code 022) Birthday 03 Dec 1971 Delivered 13 Dec 1971 to Hoffman Motors 40 DCOE's, 9.5CR, 123 Ignition 

#792890.Smaller.jpg

No washers!!! I have no idea what happened. The bolts didn't come with washers and I have no idea what I did with the original bolts. But I can tell from the metal there should be washers there. 

So what now? Do I start over with a new gasket and new bolts? Do I go to the hardware store and find washers? Do I order ARP studs? 

PXL_20230322_002439819.jpg

PXL_20230322_002427507.jpg

PXL_20230322_002414486.jpg

PXL_20230322_002401660.jpg

PXL_20230322_001242417.jpg

PXL_20230322_001135306.MP.jpg

PXL_20230322_001128012.jpg

PXL_20230322_001120331.jpg

PXL_20230322_001039835.jpg

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Steve76063 said:

When the head was shaved, was the front timing cover installed on it?  I believe it needs to be attached so as to have it shaved the same amount.  Otherwise, you could have a 'step' at the front that keeps the front of the head from seating/sealing.

The front covet gets installed after the head is torqued. 

The washers are hardened steel nothing at the hardware store is going to work. Part number 11120621145 for the washers. Pretty sure thats your problem there replace the gasket and torque it down and you should be good to go.

Edited by Son of Marty
  • Like 3

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

So you had no head bolt washers? Those are special. Some body must have a few lying around. I would check the bottom of the bolt holes for accumulated sludge and oil.

What king of valve cover gasket is that?

Edited by Hans
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hans said:

So you had no head bolt washers? Those are special. Some body must have a few lying around. I would check the bottom of the bolt holes for accumulated sludge and oil.

What king of valve cover gasket is that?

Glad you asked! Victor Reinz, part of the set below. While we're here, anybody know what these rings are used for?

Screenshot_20230321-191812.png

The 8 large rings I belive are for plastic runner tii's the larger of the small rings is for the large plug in the head behind the timing gear, the small one I can't recall right now. My method for cleaning the head bolt holes is to use a 3/8ths (I think) wood dowl down the hole while holding a wad of paper towels to soak up the goo, then finish with solvent or brake clean and wick it out with a twisted paper towel.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

I clean the bolt holes using a tap, then forced air, then brake cleaner (the carcinogenic kind) then blow it all out again (into your face).

While you're in there, check that there are no cracks at the bolt holes; I've seen that happen with hydro-locking bolts.....

The OCD in me says trim your upper radiator hose by 1/4" to eliminate the kink.

All good.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Einspritz said:

I clean the bolt holes using a tap, then forced air, then brake cleaner (the carcinogenic kind) then blow it all out again (into your face).

While you're in there, check that there are no cracks at the bolt holes; I've seen that happen with hydro-locking bolts.....

The OCD in me says trim your upper radiator hose by 1/4" to eliminate the kink.

All good.

Literally what happened and I remember watching a video where he put a rag above the hole before blowing it out and realized why he did that. Then I did it again a day later when I forgot about the rag technique. 

That upper radiator hose has always bothered me but thought it was supposed to be like that. 

welp, there's yer problem.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=ST12-USA-09-1972-114-BMW-2002&diagId=11_2363

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-washer-11120621145

your head bolts are bottoming before they clamp.

I would toss whichever bolts you've used, and either reuse what came out,

or get new ones again

t

• Like 5

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

48 minutes ago, TobyB said:

your head bolts are bottoming before they clamp.

I suppose that, in theory, since the coolant-in-the-oil problem is so pronounced, you could pull the studs, put washers on them, and torque them down just to be certain that this solves the problem before you go to the work of pulling the head and replacing the gasket again, but @TobyB's explanation is so perfect that it's not worth it.

• Like 2

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)