• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SOLVED 1974 2002 Help - Identifying air cleaner part

ErnieThe02
Go to solution Solved by John76,

Hello all,

Either my brain isn't working, I don't know the right names to look under  or google hates me.  

I am putting together the pieces to revert by 02 to it's original air cleaner/airbox/summer winter box setup.

Need help knowing the part name, number or other info that may help me locate the rubber flange gasket that connects the air cleaner box to the carb.  I have the adapter to connect the air cleaner to the Weber.

Any help appreciated.   

Mine is a bit crusty and hoping its a part that isn't NLA.

image.thumb.png.e4bca2a2f497a92be50246a462a2a589.png

2002 air cleaner rubber gasket.jpg

1974 2002-  Ernie

1988 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ62 - Burt

That's the same air cleaner that's on my '73, and the only thing that goes on the intake horn is a corrugated rubber hose that runs to the winter/summer air inlet box--and will happily dangle down into the fan seeking assisted suicide...

I think the picture in the manual is the rubber gasket that seal the air cleaner base to the OEM Solex carburetor... just shown out of position. 

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

FYI it's been my experience that the aluminum casting that's supposed to mate the OEM air cleaner to the Weber 32/36 makes the air cleaner ride too high and hit the underside of the hood.  

I converted to a Weber around 1979/80 before that adapter existed, so I just took tin snips, enlarged the hole in the air cleaner base and cut a piece of closed cell foam to seal between carb and air cleaner.  Been working fine ever since...

mike

• Like 1

Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

• ErnieThe02 changed the title to SOLVED 1974 2002 Help - Identifying air cleaner part
35 minutes ago, John76 said:

That is the Solex air cleaner rubber seal.

Search for Solex 2-barrel carb parts or the original air cleaner (used).

John

Thanks, I'll look for that

1974 2002-  Ernie

32 minutes ago, Mike Self said:

FYI it's been my experience that the aluminum casting that's supposed to mate the OEM air cleaner to the Weber 32/36 makes the air cleaner ride too high and hit the underside of the hood.  

I converted to a Weber around 1979/80 before that adapter existed, so I just took tin snips, enlarged the hole in the air cleaner base and cut a piece of closed cell foam to seal between carb and air cleaner.  Been working fine ever since...

mike

Yes, I've seen that as being an issue and thank you.    I'll check it to see if it sits too high.   If so, snips or forget the project 🙂   I generally don't follow the "if it's not broke don't fix it rule", the car is running great and I'm in a relatively mild climate (except winter when Ernie will be stored).   Just intrigued to get the factory parts back in there.

1974 2002-  Ernie

20 minutes ago, Mike Self said:

the aluminum casting that's supposed to mate the OEM air cleaner to the Weber 32/36 makes the air cleaner ride too high and hit the underside of the hood.  

Good call Mike.

I tried the Jam Engineering adapter when I installed the Weber on my '76. Not only did it hit the hood which necessitated removing the phenolic spacer (pre-vapor lock fuel years), but it also caused the thin, brittle air cleaner metal to crack.

My solution was to use the bottom part of the rectangular Red Line air cleaner that came with the Weber kit. I fitted this to a large aluminum disk that was screwed to the bottom of the original air cleaner.   Looks, fits, seals, attaches and removes like factory intended... but much better!  Aluminum duct tape on underside helps deflect heat away from carb.

Hint:  Install the factory support brackets to act as a "clearance gauge" to determine the thickness of the phenolic heat-sink block under the carb.

Weberaircleaneradapter.thumb.JPG.f99cec333a66b402d1554a7acf6a70b7.JPG

StockAirCleaneronWeber.thumb.JPG.54bbe77eec4e1fbfe2237cea59d00c8d.JPG

• Like 1

Good stuff and thanks to all for the comments.

Now that I’ve done some investigation on the Weber adapter I see that the isolator/rubber gasket issue is moot.

All the bits came with the car and I assumed the adapter was plug and play.   No worries, more fun time in the garage.

1974 2002-  Ernie

7 minutes ago, John76 said:

My solution was to use the bottom part of the rectangular Red Line air cleaner that came with the Weber kit. I fitted this to a large aluminum disk that was screwed to the bottom of the original air cleaner.   Looks, fits, seals, attaches and removes like factory intended... but much better! 

Did you use the four mounting holes to secure the adaptor to the top of the weber, or is the air cleaner assembly removed by simply loosening the three outer nuts?

I'm a fan of the dome.  Subaru air cleaner wing nuts too.

image.thumb.jpeg.36947a90e73777e987ac99c39f5b53af.jpeg

This installation uses a shortened original (NLA, last I heard) rubber oval seal.  It's funny that RealOEM doesn't list part number 12 in their diagram.    I did a little FAQ searching, looking for the part number, but didn't find it.   It's not moot to me!  :) 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

Subaru air cleaner wing nuts too

Mine are the 6mm long-legged wingnuts that once held the jack handle in place in several generations of Renaults:  4CV, Dauphine, R8/10 and Caravelle...

mike

• Like 1

1 hour ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

Did you use the four mounting holes to secure the adaptor to the top of the weber,

Hey Tom, I don't have the tools, skills, or brains to do what you can do!

I use the four studs on the top of the Weber as guideposts (with rubber hose for a tight fit) but no nuts.

I only use the 3 nuts (not your clever Subaru wing nuts) to secure the air cleaner to the brackets.

WebersansAircleanerill..thumb.JPG.c7ea66bfbe48687e41f6bfc485811fa3.JPG

• Like 2

Well, let’s see if this works.

A a dremel and tin snips.

sized the hole to snugly fit the OEM isolator gasket from the Solex.

If that makes it sit too tall I can always solve it another way.

D14C4700-545A-460E-A57F-FAA0CC0B0144.jpeg

EBF8B892-AC00-486A-BB58-E6606ADBAD1F.jpeg

EC3935B2-162C-4D6F-90CF-567E0BB6E61E.jpeg

1C548F0A-42D4-4ED9-A771-CCE97774948B.jpeg

• Like 3

1974 2002-  Ernie