• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rich
Go to solution Solved by JohnS,

• Solution
s-l500.jpg
WWW.EBAY.COM

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for OPEL KADETT ORIGINAL GERMAN MADE HELLA HORN RELAY at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!

Is this what your one looks like?  This one has three poles labelled 85, 87 & 30/51.  Hope that helps

I think 85 = ground

87 power to horn

30/51 power

Part # 91/6-11-12V

12 volt

Edited by JohnS

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

or any simple relay could work in a pinch for cheap...  Search Hella or Bosch horn or starter relay...

HellaRelay.jpg

Edited by JohnS
  • Like 1

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

2 hours ago, JohnS said:

the old style canister ones are grounded through the body of the relay (hence only three pins). 

The 3-prong relays are wired as follows:

30/51   Power source (+12V) switched or always hot. 

87        Load (horn). connect to horn (+). 

If horn has 2 tabs connect (-) to ground, otherwise horn is grounded through the mounting bolt.

85        To horn button (grounds for "honk")

PS: You might want to open the relay and clean the contact or resolder any broken coil wires... worth a try for a $55 Hella relay!

Or, as suggested, replace with a 4-prong Tyco (Bosch) relay for $15.

• Like 3

That same relay was used on a bunch of German cars of the same vintage, like M-B and Porsche; also was the overdrive relay on Volvo P1800s, and early 240 series Volvo sedans.  Might find one of those in a salvage yard.  

And as John mentioned, you can carefully bend the crimped aluminum cover back to reveal the innards; so long as the coil isn't all burned looking, the problem is probably burned or dirty contact points, easily cleaned with an ignition file or a doubled over piece of fine grit sandpaper.  I've salvaged several that way.

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

16 hours ago, John76 said:

85        To horn button (grounds for "honk")

Correction !!!

My previous post was WRONG concerning the #85 tab on a 3-prong relay.

The mounting tab for the relay completes the coil ground and is always grounded.

The #85 tab is ENERGIZED with +12v when the horn is honked. 

Sorry... this is the opposite of how the horn works on a square-tail. 

The top relay illustration (attached) shows a 4-pin relay. The 3-pin has the #86 tab internally grounded to the mounting.

RelaysHellavBosch.thumb.jpg.2c62a44724099ace65a11aa5b5dfd4f3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I purchased one of those new Hella horn relays from ebay only to realize that it only has three pins vs. the 4 pins on my original horn relay.  I found a good substitute for the old round one though.  I used an old square style BOSCH 0 332 003 017 relay instead.  It has the same mounting as the original round one.  It's the same as used to bypass the ballast resistor on my '73.  Wanted to be safe so used the square 4 pin style (actually 5 pin because it has the dual 87 outputs).  Could the three pin one be used on a car that expects the 4 pins?  If so, how would you wire it?  New square one works great and mounts to the original holes.  Thanks,

John

Relay1.jpg

Relay2.jpg

Relay3.jpg

Relay4.jpg

Relay5.jpg

Relay6.jpg

SteeringWheel.jpg

Edited by JohnS

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

18 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Could the three pin one be used on a car that expects the 4 pins? 

Yes ... but you might need to reconfigure the plug.

On a three-pin relay:

30/51 = +12V power (fuse protected)

87      = Load (horn(s))

85      = + 12V trigger source

The mounting tabs on the relay provide the path to ground.  Brown wire in the 4-pin plug is not needed.

Note: I believe the earlier cars (pre-square) used the horn button to energize the relay (#85) with +12V. The later cars used the horn button to ground the relay.

It's hip to be square so will use the square one.  Anyone out there with an early car looking for a nice NOS 3 - pole horn relay, hit me up.  I'll make a deal better than even Deal'n Dave 😁

Edited by JohnS

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

OK John S, so I got to ask, how much for the NOS 3 pole horn relay, please, and it would replace this one pictured, ? This past weekend I just replaced the voltage regulator and re did some of the wiring. 

IMG_2004.JPG

2 hours ago, Rich said:

OK John S, so I got to ask, how much for the NOS 3 pole horn relay, please, and it would replace this one pictured, ? This past weekend I just replaced the voltage regulator and re did some of the wiring. 

Hi Rich,

I couldn't get the three pole relay to work on my '73.  I tried as John76 suggested with switching the wiring, but it didn't work and I just swapped back to the 4-pole relay which matches my original wiring.  I think you also have a 4-pole relay on your car, so that's what you need, not the 3-pole one.  The square one that I found on ebay was oddly enough original equipment on Polaris Snowmobiles back in the day it seems.  Weird.  Got it from some guy up in Minnesota (Blunt land).  You can find them on ebay.  But $$'s 😒

https://www.ebay.com/itm/165858301843

Edited by JohnS

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️