• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with Trim removal

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hello all,

Happy 02 day. I need some help removing some of my exterior trim and was hoping someone here could help. by the way, this forum seems to be working pretty damn good.... kudos!

I looked in my shop manuals and my McCartney book... but I can't seem to figure out how to remove the rear window's lower chrome trim strip...

my books show how you can use a wood chuck or wedge to hammer out from underneath the trim on the door trims.. but does this apply to my rear as well? everytime I do it it feels like I'm going to break it and it seems to be attached to the rubber that surrounds the rear windows....

can anyone help?

thanks.

Guest Anonymous

it is held in by 4 or 5 rivets. I am not sure if you will need to remove the window or if it can be swung far enough out of the way.

Guest Anonymous

windows.

Rear window:

The chrome strip you mention is actually plastic. At the bottom in the middle is a metal clip that hides the two ends. Carefully pry that clip out with a small screwdriver and then get under one of the ends of the chrome-plastic, and start lifting it out.

Rear side window:

Open the window as far as possible. You might have to remove the latch from the "C" pillar. From the inside, pull back the rubber trim at the "B" pillar. You will see four small screws that hold the hinge to the "B" pillar. Remove them and the window will come out by pulling to the rear.

Remove the rubber gasket that goes around the opening, and you'll see the trim piece exposed. About 4 pop rivets hold it in place.

Cheers!

John N

Guest Anonymous

If you're a CCA member, the Sept and Nov 02 Cents Worth columns covered 02 trim reinstallation (which is, of course the reverse of removal!) That should help.

cheers

Mike

Nevada '69

Sahara '73

Guest Anonymous

I am! I didn't even think to check nor do I recall reading that... but I will pull up my older issues and read up on that.

thanks again!