• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm dropping my rear end and I need help!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

And I can't find the Haynes! (Haines) Firstly, thanks for tolerating my pathetic double meaning subject title. I have the trans out and the center support to the driveshaft disconnected. So far, on the rear end, I have the outer CVs off. I'll sawzall the exhaust off first thing but any pointers you gents could give me to get the diff out of my 02 would be appreciated. I know I could figure it out once under there but my garage is at about ten degrees F so if you can give me a sequence of removal it could save me a frozen ars. Also, can I leave the driveshaft attached to the diff and pull it out towards the rear once the diff is down, and then remove it from the diff once I have better access to the bolts? TIA

Guest Anonymous

and the other thing is that the diff is HEAVY! so just be prepared for that. When I removed the diff->driveshaft bolts, i just jammed a huge screwdriver in there to keep it all from turning, and then undid the bolts. It was extremely easy once the screwdriver holds it in place. Finally, Id remove the lower bolts that hold the diff to the subframe and then remove the upper hanger bolts that go through the bushings, and not the ones that attach to the diff cover. When you are finally ready to drop the diff, remove the nuts from those hanger bolts, and then when everything else is free, remove one, then the other while supporting the diff with your strong hand. Then slide it off the top of the subframe and HEAVE it onto the ground... Did i mention it is heavy?!?! Good luck!

-Rob