• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Accelerator Linkage Lubricant on a tii

Hello all,

Little bit of scope creep has lead the clutch slave cylinder leak to turn into the master cylinder (good measure) to replace the plastic bits and springs on the accelerator linkage (while I'm in there). 

the plastic bushing on the that makes contact with the pedal

the plastic bushings interior and exterior of the pedal arm exit from the peddle box

the spring for the accelerator arm

the spring on the firewall

the plastic bushings to the pitman arm on the firewall

The plastic bushings on the support bracket near the pump

Now I did search, and some people said white lithium grease and some said motorcycle chain lube, and some said Krytox (out of my league). 

Seems like there are three different surface combinations

Plastic on metal - all the plastic bushings are really just sleeves

Metal on metal - all the tii linkage cups

Springs - it looked like these had some type of oil / lubricate on them (or are they just magnets to grease)?

Any advise would be helpful. 

A little bit of lubricant on the stark white bit on the pedal arm (which / what?)

(and oh the concours judges are going to kill me for having a black bushing on the pedal versus a white one)

IMG_3818.thumb.jpg.82dea92be42e18d9e521b16bbe369860.jpg 

This spring looks like it is lubricated - I just don't know if that's right or which lubricant to use

IMG_3821.thumb.jpg.4bfba24e34feedf892ca61e3206a2992.jpg

These rods which the plastic bushings ride on - should they get some type of lubricant?

IMG_3843.thumb.jpg.0dfaaa0234567349acd784289ac99c71.jpg

IMG_3844.thumb.jpg.6f808fa7c98608fc56921ac7f8170db2.jpg

And finally on the tii linkage.  I lubricated the linkage before with I don't know what.  But it appears now very black and runny

IMG_3840.thumb.jpg.3b5de239da846a14c84ca3ff94b4a3d6.jpg

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

73 tii (Verona, survivor, owned since '92)

66 DS21 (most technologically advanced car of the 20th Century)

You may be disappointed with those new nylon pivot bushings.  I highly recommend adding a couple nylon washers to eliminate any slop in the linkage.  Just look in the hardware drawers at any Home Depot or Lowe’s.

You don’t want to make the linkage too tight or it might bind up.

• Like 1

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

11 minutes ago, Einspritz said:

Ok the Krytox was probably me, or you can use PTFE grease.....

lol, yes it was you - in 2018 (I still had a browser tab with that page open.  

I think at $24.99 for a .5 (point 5) ounce tub, I'll stick with something more pedestrian.  

(my original search for Krytox was for 2 ounces at Grainger for the bargain price of $477.99....

Anyway, thanks for the response, a few ounces of PTFW for $20 is more my snack bracket.  

.... now if I only was able to get to the garage today.... oh well. 

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

4 hours ago, jgerock said:

ou may be disappointed with those new nylon pivot bushings.  I highly recommend adding a couple nylon washers to eliminate any slop in the linkage.  Just look in the hardware drawers at any Home Depot or Lowe’s.

You don’t want to make the linkage too tight or it might bind up.

good suggestion... damn it if I wasn't just there...

Benjamin Franklin

A trick I picked up on many years ago for the accelerator pedal and its little plastic bushing:  rather than greasing, I cleaned the back side of the pedal off and stuck a 2 1/4" length of "Slick Tape" on the back side of the pedal.  This is a teflon-type sticky back tape that I found at a woodworking shop where it's used as drawer glides in cabinets.  

Slick Tape doesn't need any lubrication; it slides on the plastic bushing smoothly, and with no grease, there's no dirt build up. Been working fine for me for 10+ years...

mike

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2023 at 1:22 AM, Mike Self said:

, I cleaned the back side of the pedal off and stuck a 2 1/4" length of "Slick Tape" on the back side of the pedal.  This is a teflon-type sticky back tape

thanks Mike, it only took me 10 days to get back out to the garage. I had gone to the ubiquitous amazon to buy the tape on the day of your post.  But then I found out that it comes in all sorts of widths. Measure twice , cut once. The part of the pedal backside where the bushing slides is 1/2 inch. Now I know what tape to buy. Thanks for the tip!

Benjamin Franklin

13 hours ago, 73tiiDavidPA said:

But then I found out that it comes in all sorts of widths. Measure twice , cut once. The part of the pedal backside where the bushing slides is 1/2 inch. Now I know what tape to buy. Thanks for the tip!

Didn't realize it came in different widths.  When I bought a roll (years ago) at our local woodworking shop, they only had that one width, and it happened to be just right!  Serendipity!

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite