• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BAT '76.. how did this pass smog?

zinz

Besides the obvious '76 smog issue, this car going for this money is pretty wild for several other reasons: 

- In the video it's clearly almost overheating at idle

- the seats are ripped

- the gas pedal is MISSING

- the strut mounts are torn to pieces (hello suspension refresh ~$800 in parts)

- the floor, frame rails, AND spare tire well had what looks like bad rust repair

• Like 2

'68 Caribe 1600-1563167

14 hours ago, jimk said:

Does California make emissions inspections easy with engine swaps?   Just wondering because of the complications with inspections for OE equipment.

Surely you jest...

All emissions equipment from the donor car needs to be in place and functioning for the car to be BAR'd. If it's a newer engine the cats need to be the same linear distance from the head as the are in the donor(within a narrow range). Technically the OEM exhaust manifold has to be used unless you can find an aftermarket one with a CARB sticker. This can be an issue with LS swaps depending on which car you get your motor from since some have center dump headers and others have rear dump. New cars often have evap stuff in the tank, so you have to figure that out. OEM air intake or aftermarket "cold air intake" from the same vehicle, no codes, correct ecu, etc...

LS swaps are really common because Chevy sells a few CA emissions compliant long block variants of the LS as "E-rod" kits with everything from the throttle body through the cats and wiring harness + ECU as a kit.

Another option is to buy a diesel variant(524td for example) since they are emissions exempt until '96(?).

New M20 swap mounts when I get around to welding them up. I should make this font smaller because it may never happen...🙃

'71 2002 Restomod under the knife, 2012,...2018, 2019 it will run again! 2024? IDK

'74 260z K24 swap

15 hours ago, Alexander said:

Cardiff by the Sea !!!!

I remember the good ole days when the Cardiff Reefers band played a lot in Santa Cruz.  They were really good.

On topic, whenever I'm looking for original 4-speed transmissions, I always try to find a '76.  I figure it's the last ones they made, so have the least miles on them.  Also they have the fine splined output shaft.  The '76 body shells also are the latest and likely to have less rust.  All pluses in my book.  Some  day California will make the '76's smog exempt and everyone will be hunting for them... 

Edited by JohnS
  • Like 3

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/2/2023 at 10:32 AM, Eissmann said:

My 76 passed the CA smog test shortly before I bought it. After almost two years it is nearly time for testing. I am concerned about passing. I will save that smog shop's phone number!

I took my 76 to a local shop that was recommended by a friend. I drove it vigorously for a half hour before my scheduled appointment, since a warm motor should burn fuel more efficiently.  By some miracle I passed!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eissmann said:

By some miracle I passed!

Can you share your test results for 15mph and 25mph?

My recent numbers (Feb. '23):

Test            RPM         CO2%      O2%      HC (ppm)    CO%     NO (ppm)

15mph       1722           11.5           4.9          186                0.39        1108

25mph      2778           11.6           4.4            91                 0.91         660         

John

On an occation they ask me at MOT facility if i have my smog tested and i promptly reply ” yes, it was tested in 1973 and it was all good”. Gets smiles every time.

• Haha 4

2002 -73 M2, 2002 -71 forced induction. bnr32 -91

11 minutes ago, John76 said:

Thank you. Your numbers look really good.

No dyno test?  That does it...I'm moving to Santa Barbara!

Bay Area tests are much more stringent.  

John

Thanks. I think getting the motor warm helped

the only smog shops here are independent repair shops. The dyno must be at the state smog stations

1 hour ago, Eissmann said:

image.thumb.png.deeb769b360b78a73e0291e5be848ccb.png

here's snippet of my report. There was no dyno test

That's cleaner than my e36 just tested. So they don't care about NOx with a car of a certain age?

I'm assuming you still have the thermal reactor?

'68 Caribe 1600-1563167

1 hour ago, FunElan said:

That's cleaner than my e36 just tested. So they don't care about NOx with a car of a certain age?

I'm assuming you still have the thermal reactor?

I don't know about NOx. It may depend which district we're in.But I'm guessing the testing parameters get progressively harder as the cars get newer. 

I do have a thermal reactor. 

CA smog rules can vary by county and some counties have no smog testing e.g. Alpine County.  But you have to be tested in the county where registered unless the rules are the same e.g. LA and Orange Counties.

• Like 1

HBChris

`73 3.0CS Chamonix, `69 2000 NK Atlantik

`70 2800 Polaris, `79 528i Chamonix