• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BAT '76.. how did this pass smog?

zinz

On 5/2/2023 at 9:53 AM, Daily02 said:

Before I would buy an 1976 or later car in CA I would have a stipulation that the car must pass emission

CA law requires seller provide smog certificate prior to sale, I KNOW this to be true from prior experiences  

I don't take myself or opinions Seriously

My 4th 2002 and the first set of Square Tail-Lights

See the 4 versions of my 2002 project here: SoCal S2002 | Facebook

The problem is when some of the emission equipment fails, and the pieces are NLA.

If the seller releases the car to you with an illegal emission certificate you are screwed in 2 years when it needs to be tested again. 

I avoid post '75 cars in CA.

Regards

Dono

11 hours ago, dlefebvre02 said:

Man this Alexander guy is just mean.

Nah, he's a good guy when you get to know him.

1 hour ago, Daily02 said:

f the seller releases the car to you with an illegal emission certificate you are screwed in 2 years when it needs to be tested again. 

Assuming the buyer is in Calif.

• Like 2

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

7 hours ago, rstclark said:

I once told the owner of a notable shop in San Diego that I had a really nice 76.

His reply was “ there is no such thing as a really nice 76 in California “

He obviously hasn't seen one with a m20, m42 or other engine swap.

Does California make emissions inspections easy with engine swaps?   Just wondering because of the complications with inspections for OE equipment.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

4 hours ago, jimk said:

Does California make emissions inspections easy with engine swaps? 

It's complicated.  A 1976 with a engine swap in CA typically requires the same class engine (# of cylinders) and include the appropriate emission equipment.  Then you need to go to a referee center to pass a initial inspection where they determine if the motor you swapped in includes the appropriate emission equipment.  If you pass this inspection, you need to pass a emission test based on the smog requirements for the donor engine, and if you pass that, you will receive a BAR Referee label for your engine compartment to permit testing every 2 years at your local smog station.

Mark92131

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

2 hours ago, Mark92131 said:

A 1976 with a engine swap in CA typically requires the same class engine (# of cylinders) 

This is not true, I used to work for a Smog Referee.

The engine must be the same year or newer as the car its going into and requires all of the smog equipment from the donor car.

I saw plenty of cars with V8 swaps.

To find out more look Here.

Edited by 2002iii
Link with more info added

Little known fact that there are areas of California where a car needs to pass Smog to register but then there is no semi annual check If you register a car in Borrego Springs for example, there is no testing requirements Same is true for some rural Northern California zip codes

Somebody in Borrego Springs should start a registration service